Thursday, May 04, 2006

When Am I Going to Learn?

This morning I was in my son's room, sorting through his clothes and reorganizing his drawers for summer. He was down the hall in my room. I could hear Barney on the TV, and Kyle was even shouting, "Hooray," because he was happy and he knew it. Things were going so well. I had given myself a mental cheer as well, because I had already crossed something off my to-do list by 10am. Then I went into my room and saw Kyle standing with a crayon in his hand. The screen from our windows are off because we are painting the outside of the house. Kyle had applied the crayon to the screen in big sweeping curves.

Quiet is not usually good with a toddler. Kyle proved this to me a couple of months ago, but I apparently have a short memory. This first escapade happened while I was on the computer. He was playing--so nicely and quietly. I'm sure I had peeked in on him a couple of times so as not to distract him. Then I go up and there's black stuff all over his face and hands, and the TV screen. "Oh, no," I thought, "he somehow found a black marker. I hope it's not a Sharpie!" I also looked immediately at my leather chair, and fortunately it seemed unscathed. Upon further investigation, the black stuff was mascara. The wand made a nice paintbrush apparently. It also cleaned up nicely--off the stuff, and off him for the most part. The funny part is that it was concentrated around one of his eyes. Apparently he knew what it was for. So, for a day, he did look a bit like he was wearing some eyeliner, because I didn't want to clean it off that close to his eye.

Amanda had also tried to teach me the lesson many years before. Again, me on the computer. Amanda in her booster seat at the kitchen table. I would tape down a big piece of paper, covering her end of the table, and let her color and color. "Oh, she's so quiet. She's got such a good attention span." And then, I walked in. She had gotten down out of her booster seat, taken a marker with her, and drawn on the leg of the table. She had also drawn on the tile, and the grout. Green marker, I remember it well. The tile (and the whole house) was brand new. The marker came off of the table leg and the tile with no problem. The grout was another issue. It faded, and I didn't notice it after a while, but there was a little reminder of her adventure if I knew where to look.

So, now I'm off to the garage to see if we have some WD-40. That's what www.crayola.com recommends for getting crayon off metal, formica, brick, etc. I tried some dish soap and that didn't work, so here's hoping that this does.

8 comments:

Katrina said...

Aww...Our creative little Picassos certainly keep us on our toes! I, too, have "learned" this lesson...several times!

Jeannine said...

I've found that Magic Erasers work really well at removing crayon, marker, and ink from things. I've even used them on upholstery and it works although the eraser gets used up really fast that way.

Jennifer said...

I had forgotten about that. I think that the screen would tear it up, but I will try it. I just noticed today that the painters put the screen up. I thought that they had cleaned it with their magic paint removal stuff, but we saw it up on Kyle's window from the driveway, and my husband asked what it was and who had done it. It looks kind of funny.

Happy0303 said...

Thank you for sharing this great post with the carnival. I can totally relate. Once I though my daughter was quietly playing with her dolls. When I checked on her, she was drawing the entire family on the wall that leads upstairs! Thank goodness for Magic Erasers.

Mama Duck said...

LOL sounds like something my little guy would do! Great carnival entry!

Laura said...

This is a great been there, done that lesson for me to keep in mind as Lou begins her roaming of the house. I do keep all doors closed except for her room though and our hallway is small. Today, she tried to sneak away with a few crayons. I caught her in time, but later she took a pencil to the tile floor. I still have to wipe it up.
So did you ever get the crayon out of the screen?

Jennifer said...

Well, since the screen got put back up by the painters, I didn't take it down to try. I haven't noticed the crayon, though, and it's on one of the windows above the garage that I would notice, I think. I'll have to take a good look, but I think maybe nature took care of it.

beth in nc said...

I just have so many things to say about this entry. First, for some reason, since I just met you cyber space a couple of days ago, I thought you had 2 girls. My FM #3 (not family member for me but Future Man) is also 2. Born in January of 2004. I'm heading your way in June of next year. We might be able to hook up at a play place. Also, WD-40 and crayons -- a wonderful combination. It's not just quiet you need to worry about, you need to check pockets when doing laundry because once they get in the dryer those suckers are gruesome. It was a brand new dryer too. All the red is gone now but at the beginning of the day, it was not a good start to a Sunday.