Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Amazon Wishlists

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I'm once again joining in Works for Me Wednesday hosted by Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer, and I have uploaded her cool graphic banner this week as well. You can go over there each week and see links to many posts with great tips.

For so many reasons, I looooove amazon.com. Two things that really work for me are the comments by other users and the wishlist feature.

I am a listmaker, and the wishlist really helps me to keep up with books I hear about and am interested in reading (and DVDs and CDs as well). When I hear a book mentioned, I go over to amazon.com, look at the comments of other readers, and either add it to my wishlist, or my thinking about it list, or directly to my shopping cart (which also features a handy "save for later" button if I know I want to buy it, but not on that particular purchase day). A fairly new feature is the ability to create more than one wishlist. There is the main list that will come up with my sil or bil search for a gift to buy me, but I now can keep a private list with books I'm thinking about getting, or might just want to check out at the library. That way, when I'm making a trip to the library, and want to pick up a book, instead of wandering through the fiction aisles aimlesses and unguided, I can check out a book that has been personally recommended to me, or matched up to my interests by the almost-too-smart amazon search engine.

Those comments on the amazon items are priceless to me. I trust other booklovers, and especially on a non-fiction book or cookbook, what someone has to say about it will convince me that it's worth my time, or not. In fact, I consult amazon.com for purchases of most items, including a power screwdriver which we bought my father in law. I know nothing about power tools, but by reading the reviews, I was able to ascertain what features were crucial and which ones were superfluous.

I know that all of these things were meant to drive their business, and I'm sure that it has (speaking personally), but the user-friendly helps are something that really make that site work for me.

Are there any wonderful ways that you use that site that you'd like to share with me?

16 comments:

Joy said...

I love Amazon because it's very easy for me to send gifts to friends and family even though we live in Indonesia. Of course, you must have the handy dandy credit card!
Blessings!

Beck said...

I love my Amazon wish list, too - and like Joy, I find it handy for sending gifts to friends in other countries!

Aunt Murry said...

Amazon Rocks!

aggiejenn said...

I love their Wish List, too. I haven't used it much until recently, but when I see a book that someone has recommended, I go over there, check it out, and maybe add it to my wish list as well. Thanks for sharing!

melnel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
melnel said...

my sister loves Amazon.com, but I've never really explored their site. I think I'll have to now after all your detailed praise.

And on a total side note, I love that you used superflous in a post! Oh the happiness an English major gets from great vocabulary use... :)

Katherine@Raising Five said...

I've used wish lists for other stores - thanks for the reminder about Amazon. They have it all, don't they?

Tiff said...

Great tip!

Mine is up now at: www.garrettscorner.blogspot.com

I ALWAYS hear a book or movie, etc. that I want to read/watch but can't ever remember the name. If I put it on the "wishlist" I would be set! Thanks!

Amy said...

Everyone in our family has a wish list. I just made one for our son's birthday party. Saves us time and explaining things he would like. I am sending the list with an Evite (from Evite.com) for his birthday party. They have lots of options to choose from (and hopefully reduces duplicate gifts) :) Thanks for sharing!

Sue said...

My daughter uses this and I can get suggestions on what to buy the grandkids!
My WFMW is up :-)

Full Contact, Savior-centric Livin said...

Good thoughts!

Tess said...

that's a great idea, to use your amazon wish list as your library 'grocery' list. I will have to try that.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

I agree with you!! It is such a great and innovative site. I love reading the reviews. I always consult them before making a purchase. I haven't done the wish list though - I gotta do that. Thanks for the tip!

Bethany said...

Ah. Yes I'm an Amazon lover as well. I love the set up for purchase....the ability to mail to more than one address for one purchase...and without all the hassle.

I also like the one click quick buy feature.(Which I have to make myself not use too terribly much!)

Divap said...

I found a new feature (to me anyway) - gift reminders. You setup a name and date and Amazon reminds you when the event is coming up each year. No more missed birthdays, anniversaries, etc! Thanks for visiting our WFMW.

Jeannine said...

I use the wish list to help me remember what books I'm interested in so that I can check them out or buy them later. I'm always really excited if I go to a library sale and find one of the books on my Amazon wish list. :-)