Friday, June 09, 2006

A Friend's a Friend Forever

Yes, cue the annoying stereotypical Michael W. Smith song here.

I have always felt blessed by my friendships. Because I contacted my best friend from college, and she wrote me back, I have been thinking (mushily and nostalgically) about how she helped make me who I am. I mean, that's what friends do, right? They either bring out the best in us, or maybe by allowing us to be ourselves, they help us to move away from what we think is the best, and really be ourselves. They support us when we think we've blown it, and if we are really lucky, we get a friend who will tell us when we have blown it.

I told her I had a blog when I wrote her, just because I'm now in the practice of telling people--see this post from oh-so-long ago. So, she wrote back, and told me that she also had a blog, and then she wrote some very nice things about me. So, in the interest of self-promotion, I will link to that blog here. She sees things in me that I know I would not possess without her influence in my life. Since we were inseparable in college and for some years after until life and distance gave us a little break, we really began to emerge as the women we are still becoming. We haven't been great about keeping up with each other. Months, and I think even sometimes years, went by with little more than a Christmas card or quick email.

But after writing her yesterday and reading her honest response and nostalgic blog post, none of that matters. By reading her blog, I was reminded of what I love about her, and that even though there's been a break in communication, our roots are deep. Because of this, I know that we will always be there for each other, in some way or another.

It makes me think of another friendship that I rekindled over the last few years. I know that Danielle would want her name mentioned, so I will. We were friends in those early married years, still figuring out how to be wives and homemakers and teachers and all of that. We also lost touch after a couple of years of living in different states. However, something brought us back in contact, and we picked right back up after so many years, and we're now closer than ever.

I will sum up both friendships by saying this: because we shared years together, and particularly because of the formative nature of those relationships, we are part of each other, and you can't change that. The past is good, but adding that rich layer of history to a present friendship is even better.

9 comments:

Patti (Mazy) said...

What wonderful things you said about Shellers. To have had a friendship like that in college would've been so nice. I was an engineering major and didn't make any good female friends until my last couple of years when I changed to Engineering Technology (much more low key than EE). I look forward to reading your blog with a good cup of coffee.

Code Yellow Mom said...

These last few posts are so great - I'm fairly new to your blog and I'll be back. (And thanks for stopping by mine.) Some of my most treasured friendships are the "old" ones, and especially with people I shared mission experiences with - no one else knows what it was really like, and we understand each other without having to say anything because we were all in it together. It's such a gift and a great building stone for the friendship to really last forever.

Jennifer said...

Thanks to both of you. You know, blogging is hit or miss, but I aim not to disappoint on a regular basis. If one entry is random and self-indulgant (and not even funny at that), I hope that the next one will satisfy. . . .

Shelledpeas said...

Okay...I'm a little broken up over here... Just know that hearing from you has kept a smile on my face all day long.

And Mazy...I've always thought it was tragic that we were at A&M together and never knew each other. All those friendship years wasted! You would have been a good addition to a great friednship...but...would you have danced in your p.j.'s to James Taylor songs? That is the question.

sjdecorates said...

Hi jenn, I am southerninspiration, friend of shelledpeas and mazy...thanks for your comments on my "connections" blog entry. I had heard of you before but today I feel much more like I KNOW you...thanks for sharing and daring to enter this small world of connections!!! I look forward to reading/hearing more. We lived in your college town when you and the pea girl were roomies....don't think I ever met you , tho. take care.

Patti (Mazy) said...

Girls, I totally would've danced in my pj's.

Malissa said...

very neat!

I recently got to visit with one of my college friends and it's so cool how the years roll away and you're friends like always.

Visiting from the blogging chicks carnvial

Crystal Breeze said...

Jennifer you sound like you would make a great friend. I am a mother of 3 and recently decided that I was going to go back to school for my Nursing Degree and I have connected with other Moms returning to school after having kids and I value their friendship so much.

Anonymous said...

OK I loved the interprtive dancing! No one did it better than the two of you! I think college friends are the best! your plano college friend!