"My best friend is Jesus, love Him, love Him. My best friend is Jesus, lo-ove Him."
I still remember her little three year old voice singing that song. It has a simple tune, and the words are simple, but singing it along with her, I made application. He really is (or should be) my best friend, because He says that I am His.
John 15:15That leads me to think practically about how we can be His friend. I always try to think what it is I do to nurture along a new friendship, and try to apply it to how I could be friendly with the Lord:
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
· Give Him time in prayer and study.
· Find out more about Him in prayer and study of His word.
· Tell Him more about yourself. Don't hide things; He knows them anyway
· Enjoy good times together: marvel at His creation, worship through singing.
· Go to Him with your problems.
· Trust Him to help you when you need it.
What a Friend We Have in Jesus is a great hymn which teaches us even more about what it means that Jesus is our friend, and what we should do to be a true friend to Him.