Sunday, June 25, 2006

What a Friend We Have

When my daughter was in the preschool program of Bible Study Fellowship, she learned this song:

"My best friend is Jesus, love Him, love Him. My best friend is Jesus, lo-ove Him."

I still remember her little three year old voice singing that song. It has a simple tune, and the words are simple, but singing it along with her, I made application. He really is (or should be) my best friend, because He says that I am His.
John 15:15
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
That leads me to think practically about how we can be His friend. I always try to think what it is I do to nurture along a new friendship, and try to apply it to how I could be friendly with the Lord:

· Give Him time in prayer and study.
· Find out more about Him in prayer and study of His word.
· Tell Him more about yourself. Don't hide things; He knows them anyway
· Enjoy good times together: marvel at His creation, worship through singing.
· Go to Him with your problems.
· Trust Him to help you when you need it.

What a Friend We Have in Jesus is a great hymn which teaches us even more about what it means that Jesus is our friend, and what we should do to be a true friend to Him.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

That is a great thought and so true. Isn't it funny - sometimes the fluff/fun posts get all the comments and here sits a great little challenge and it goes unnoticed? That's the way it is for me sometimes but it's the funny world of blogging for ya!

Jennifer said...

I know what you mean about the comments. It's hard not to judge a post by the number of comments (or lack of them), but I know that sometimes I don't comment on a good or challenging post, because I don't have much to say. I guess we have to keep writing as we feel led, and not "for the masses," LOL.