Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A Calorie Saver

This is just a quick tip for this week's WFMW. I was very busy yesterday getting my categories up, which is something that I learned at WFMW, and it was so satisfying. Yes, blog tinkering definitely works for me.

On to the tip about cutting calories. I do not like fat free salad dressings. When I examine the lower fat ones that I like, I find that they are almost as high in fat and/or calories as the full fat versions. I read this tip on a Weight Watchers board years ago, and I love it. Use balsamic vinegar to cut the fat in your regular dressings. It is fat free and virtually calorie free and is much milder and flavorful than regular salad dressings. I first heard it suggested with Ranch dressing. That sounded gross, but now my daughter and I both like "balsamic ranch." I usually put a little of the regular dressing on, and then sprinkle the balsamic over, which thins it, and I mix it all up. I also find that it's easier to do this in a very large bowl, instead of on a plate. When our Ranch bottle starts to get low, I just pour some balsamic in and shake it up and we get every last drop out.

It sounds weird, and a little gross, but it works for me! Click the picture above to link to more ideas at Shannon's site.

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Interesting idea!
I just fell in love with the sesame ginger dressing from Newman's Own, which is low fat. I'll have to really check out how much fat/calories it has - maybe I'll try your tip with that dressing and see how I like it. Thanks!

Sarah said...

I just read in a recipe about combining ranch dressing w/ balsamic vinegar -- and I love them both so much I'm willing to try it!! Never thought about the fact it also cuts the fat! Great tip!

Could you send me the link on the how-to to make yourself categories on blogger? That may work for me, as well! Thanks!

Joanne Casale Viskup said...

Waste not, want not! You can do this with a jar of mustard too I bet.

Quick blogging question - I like your subscribe option. Where'd you get that?

Gina said...

I LOVE Newman's own dressings and products. Great idea Jennifer.

Mama Duck said...

Good idea! Happy Wednesday, ours is up as well!

Michelle- This One's For The Girls said...

I'm going to try this--

I love the new salad spritzers by Wishbone too.

Mom2fur said...

This is definitely one I'm going to try. I hate low-fat dressing. It isn't so much the taste as it does something weird to the lettuce that makes it feel odd in my mouth. And I'm a salad freak, so I bet I consume mass quantities of calories each day in dressing alone. This sounds like it will help--and I just love balsamic vinegar! Thanks for a great tip!

Barb, sfo said...

YUM! Balsamic vinegar is SO good in salad dressing. Never thought to try it in ranch. Thanks!

blestwithsons said...

Neat Idea! I love vinegar anyway, so I'm betting I'll like it. I was looking at the South Beach dressing last night... Yeah - it was reduced -but all the chemicals! Yeesh!

Beck said...

That's a really great idea - I've been trying to think of some ways to cut calories, too!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

That ranch stuff is so fattening. But yummy. I'll have to try this.

Love the way your sidebar looks - great job. Categories are on The List for me, too. One of these days!

denise said...

well i saw you were going to 'check me out', so i thought i'd stop by and do the same here. i myself can't stand those low calerie dressings and so now i will attempt this new recipe. thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

I felt that this topic was a bit lame, but it is an idea I've enjoyed, so I'm glad that it is a good one.

Joanne--it's feedblitz.com. If you click on the link there, it will take you to the homepage, where you can claim your own blog and put a link on your site. I have a whopping 2 subscribers, but I mainly put it on there for my non-bloggy type friends who kept telling me that they "forgot" to check and then had to read and read to catch up.

Thanks, Katherine. I like my sidebar, too, but it's going to look better after Susie Bluebird finishes with it!

Kaci said...

I love balsamic vinegar so much that I often just mix a couple tablespoons with a few drops of EVOO & a sprinkle of italian seasoning. I'm looking forward to trying the ranch version though - something to mix up my options!

Kelley said...

Sounds yummy and anything that helps cut a few calories is a good thing for me! I love balsamic, so I'm looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks for the tip!

amelia said...

Yum! I like balsamic vinegar. I'd never heard this before, but it's a great idea! I'll have to try it. Thanks for stopping by my site!