Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It Only Cost a Dollar

I don't think Dollar Stores are as popular here in my part of Connecticut (probably because of higher rent). But the Michael's where I shop has this $1 section. It kills me every time I go in there, but little notebooks are always great to have on hand: Amanda likes to have her own around, and I have to carry one in my purse for all the ramblings going on in my head. That's what I bought this one for. It has 100 lined pages, it's about 3 x 5 inches, and contrary to what it looks like, it's softcover, which won't add unnecessary weight to my purse. Trust me, my purse is heavy enough.

In addition to all sort of journals and notebooks, this section has all sorts of packs of 8 notecards as well. For one dollar! If I purchase them somewhere else, even cheaply, they are at least $3, and you can spend up to $8 or more.

Target has the Dollar Spot as well, too. It's the first thing I see when I walk into my Target. Even more dangerous, because this stuff beckons me with, "This is worth way more than a dollar!" For example I did buy these cute painted board animal pictures that are about 5 x 7 inches for Kyle's room. They were one dollar each. And I don't remember if I bought the curtains first, or the pictures, but the curtains have an olive-y strip that ties in with the animal colors and the obnoxiously blue wall.


Nonetheless, it seems that any time I'm at either of these stores, I spend at least $5 in this section. So, "only a dollar" adds up. What's more, none of this is anything I "need." At my last trip to Michael's, they had a few baskets of the previous one dollar merchandise for half price. Yes, that's fifty cents! Why, you can't even buy a Coke for fifty cents anymore. So, I did buy one pack of notecards, and two CDs. I haven't listened to them yet, but one has music on it, and the other has 3 Bible stories. I was thinking that I didn't really "need" the notecards, as I have a large stash of previous $1 purchases, but I do use them, and fifty cents. . . .

Well, I couldn't pass it by.

What has been your best dollar find?

7 comments:

Katrina said...

Yes, I have a hard time walking past the $1 section at Target, too! I've gotten Camden (my little artist) some neat little packets of pens and markers, and little notebooks, there. Those are probably my "best buy" because they bring him hours of activity for just $2 total.

And you can never have too many small notebooks, so I fully support buying them any time! I have one in my purse, one by the couch, one in the car, one by the bed, etc...

blestwithsons said...

I'm a yard-sale junkie, so that's a dangerous question. I've bought clothes for a buck. Toys for a buck. Stacks of books... Oh I just love what a dollar can do in the right place! Though of course my mind is going blank as to specifics...

Happy0303 said...

My best $1 find was those hooks you put on your stroller so that you can hang shopping bags on them! Sometimes I wish I could bring the stroller shopping with me even if the baby is at home. But I think people may look at me strange.

Gina said...

I can't get out of the dollar store for under $20, so you're doing great.

Slughorn said...

I found the mesh laundry bags at the Target $ spot. Just around New Year's, when a lot of people are resolving to get more organized.

I bought 4 of them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.