Thursday, July 27, 2006

Mission Completion!

I'm just quoting Little Einsteins again. I do know grammar. Even though I sometimes write like this (with a period before a conjunction instead of a comma. What is even anyway? I don't think it's a conjunction). I digress.

I love surfing the other Works for Me Wednesday tips each week, and I've tried to implement one or two things that very day, instead of just thinking, "Oh, yes, I should do that." Last week, I jumped right into some Reverse Cleaning. It is working with mine and dd's cleaning issues. I've been trying to think of fun outside stuff for the kids to do outside in the afternoons, because it's not a blazing furnace here in New England. Today I resolved to continue the summer fun with this tip at Frog and Toad Are Friends. Before I go on, let me digress again to say that I love that name. It makes me happy when I think of it, reminding me of a much-loved childhood book with such a happy name. I told Amanda that I got this idea from a blog, and she asked, "Which blog?" as if she has any context of my blogs at all. So I told her, and asked her if she liked the name. "You know I do," she answered, grinning shyly, "because I have that set of books!"

So, while Kyle napped, Amanda made finger paint.

Then, I sent them outside with newspaper, to go at it.

True confessions: This account of the story is told through rose colored glasses. All of these things did happen, but she got very tired of stirring the mixture as it was cooking, which took a little while to thicken. I made her keep at it, reminding her how proud she would be that she made it all herself. Then when we were going to actually use it, Kyle really didn't like to touch it. Amanda drew one little picture, and then was done. The slip and slide beckoned.

6 comments:

Susan said...

How neat! They will look back when they are older and remember this with fondness.

Katrina said...

Good job! Both for providing fun activities for Amanda & Kyle, and for jumping on the WFMW tips that appeal to you. I'm horrible about that, but I have started copying and pasting good ones into a "to-do" tip list for me to get around to. But I need to be better about jumping right on those.

Beck said...

Hey, I'm famous! :) I'm glad you like my blog's name - we love Frog and Toad here, especially the one where Toad won't come out of the water because he looks funny in his bathing suit...
See how much smarter you are than me? I let my kids fingerpaint on our BRAND NEW DINING ROOM TABLE yesterday. Oh, that was dumb. They had a great, great time, though! I'm so glad your kids had fun!

Beck said...

.... fun on the slip and slide! I always save MAKING that kind of stuff for the evening when kids are in bed. They don't like the texture? Paintbrush time!

Happy0303 said...

Isn't that always the case. I know my daughter can have a very short attention span.

Jeannine said...

What fun! Your backyard looks really nice too. Do you have woods behind your house?

How's your corn coming? We ate some from our garden last night and tonight.