Sunday, July 30, 2006

Observations from the Tour

The bloggy tour of homes, that is. I was surprised how much I liked it. I often have this desire in me to wrap things up (maybe get the last word?). I've been known to write silly poems recounting friends' weekends or retreats. So, here's my recap of the tour. . . .

People really came! I had 59 people (and counting) who actually left comments which our gracious hostess BooMama encouraged us to do. Judging from my sitemeter, which tracks visitors, I've had over 400 extra visitors over this weekend to see my home. It did take time, but I commented everywhere I went--which was over 100 of them. I wanted to visit them all, and maybe I'll take some time to over the week, but the list is now up to 212 or so over at BooMama's place, and unfortunately life has to go on.

The blogworld is so big! On the tour, we "visited" homes in Australia, Spain, Japan, UK (England and Ireland), Canada, Indonesia, the South, Texas (because Texans and real Southerners know that TX is just different), the West, the Southwest, the NW, the NE. Big homes, small homes and apartments, and even an RV. Maybe it was the tone (again set by our gracious hostess BooMama), to "give God the glory for whatever," but people really did. Very few apologies. There was the occasional reference to small, or an explanation that "we've done nothing to this room yet," but happy. And that makes me glad. We should be happy with what we have, be it much, or not so much. As one who has been more financially blessed than some, it's probably easier to say, but I do remember back to the first few years of our marriage, where our combined income was not much at all, and we were happy then (and would've stayed happy if it had stayed there).

I don't know about you, but I wasn't just looking at pictures of homes, I was looking at headers and sidebars and all sorts of stuff. Most visits were just a one time thing, but there were a few sites that grabbed me, either with details included in their home tour, or something I learned from reading their sidebar, that made me say that I'd return to look around and bookmark them in my blog folder. And I think I've had a few return visitors from the tour to my site myself.

We met people with no kids, one or two kids, three or four, and up. Birthed, adopted, different races and nationalities, and kids' rooms from baby nurseries to teen hangouts. And of course we saw pets--doggies, kitties, and even birds, not to mention all of the animals that God provides in our own backyards. Most people consider their surroundings home as well, so we got lots of pictures of backyards, front porches and decks.

We want people to like our homes. Even if we aren't happy with them, even if they aren't a decorator's paradise, we want people to find something of value there. My heart really did swell with the comments (be they honest or just something nice). So, thanks for visiting and showing what you love and even what you aren't so happy about at the moment.

BooMama's proposed a Holiday Tour next in her own little wrap up, so who knows what kind of response that will bring. Thanks BooMama for a great idea and making this big bloggy world a little smaller, for at least one day.

5 comments:

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Nice wrap-up - I don't know how many I got through, but at least most of those that visit me regularly. It could take a while - maybe until the holiday tour!

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

I concur...you go girl on the commenting! I have still not made it all the way through. I will perhaps by Christmas LOL

It was a nice way to find a few new blogs, like I need more blogs to read!! ahghghgghh!!! :)

Pieces said...

Great wrap-up and so right! I really appreciate your positive take on it--recognizing all the thankful and positive things that people had to say about their homes. Good for you for commenting on so many! I kept finding myself running out of steam and then felt bad for not commenting more. Your comments are a gift!

Katrina said...

Very good wrap-up. I agree - it was really neat to see the variety of homes and the happiness that all those homes represented. I probably made it to about 100, and tried to comment on most of them. I may go back and try to do some more, though...

sarah said...

Your wrap-up of the Tour sounds much like what I think I would have written, if I had written one. Lots of visitors, thankfulness, diversity, exploring new blogs...those really were the themes for the day. I'm looking forward to doing it again...