Saturday, July 15, 2006

Oswald's Thoughts

I was reminded when I was filling out the book meme, just how rich Oswald Chambers' devotional is. Here are some thoughts that stood out to me this week:

July 11: The Holy Spirit is determined that we shall realize Jesus Christ in every domain of life, and He will bring us back to the same point again and again until we do. Whether it be eating or drinking or washing disciples' feet, whatever it is, we have to take the initiative of realizing Jesus Christ in it.

July 12: We are not here to develop a spiritual life of our own, or to enjoy spiritual retirement we are here so to realize Jesus Christ that the Body of Christ may be built up. Am I building up the Body of Christ, or am I looking for my own personal development only? The essential thing is my personal relationship to Jesus Christ. Whenever I want things for myself, the relationship is distorted.

July 13: It must be God first, God second, and God third, until the life is faced steadily with God and no one else is of any account whatever.

July 14: Never look for right in the other man, but never cease to be right yourself. We are always looking for justice; the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount is--Never look for justice, but never cease to live it.

Wow. What an example. Of course I could elaborate and give my own thoughts, but I will leave it as he does--short and simple. He is such an example in always striving to focus on Christ and to keep putting others above ourselves. His biography was an interesting and inspirational book as well, if you haven't read it.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Those are powerful thoughts.
My husband really loves Oswald and has recently made his devotional his homepage so he can read something each morning. He wanted to get back into doing regular devotions and knew this would help.
I also happened to give him Oswald's devotional for his wedding present! We had exchanged gifts and he had hinted at that.

Blessings,
~Tammy

Crystal Breeze said...

I know I always strive to remind myself to put God first instead of my own needs and wants. I tend to always think what does Crystal want. Good message...