Sunday, July 30, 2006

Praying from Philippians

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now,
I thank God for you who has partnered in the gospel in spite of
  • your own personal trials
  • lack of appreciation for your work
  • apparent lack of results in your work
  • busy schedules in your own household
  • personal sacrifice of time and money
  • women who don't prepare their personal Bible study lessons
  • children who talk and wiggle during Bible stories
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion
You give me confidence of God's work in you as you
  • give up those cigarettes for good.
  • sacrifice your desires for those of your family, friends, or the church
  • persevere in faith through pain and loss
  • live as a sexually pure single adult
  • keep dignity during an unwanted divorce
  • forgive more and complain less
  • accept His sovereign plan for your life during good times and bad
until the day of Christ Jesus.
I wait for the day of Jesus' return as
  • death claims earthly loved ones
  • moral decay creeps further into our world
  • poverty is rampant in many countries
  • wars are fought that no one wins
  • right is relative and no one is wrong
  • teens search for acceptance in drugs, alcohol and sex
  • kids grow up too fast, but don't grow into adults fast enough
Philippians 1: 3 - 6
* * * * * * * * * * " " " " " " " " " " * * * * * * * * * " " " " " " " " " " * * * * * * * * * *

This is the first in a series in Philippians. Come back tomorrow and each day (for at least the next week) for more applications from this book of the Bible.

Day 1: Praying from Philippians
Day 2: Parenting in Philippians
Day 3: Standing Out in Philippians
Day 4: Self Confidence in Philippians
Day 5: Strength and Gentleness in Philippians
Day 6: Peace in Philippians
Day 7: Showing Concern in Philippians

4 comments:

Jane said...

I LOVE Philippians, I once memorized the first chapter and it has stuck with me ever since. And what a thoughtful way to look at it. what you pastors wife said about being thankful was excellent, it really got me thinking! So thanks for sharing that!

PEZmama said...

I guess this was a good time for me to start lurking, eh?

;)

This is some good stuff you have written here. I'll be back for the future installments.

Katrina said...

Great thoughts / application from Philippians. Looking forward to seeing future posts on this!

Chel said...

This is an excellent way to bring real life situations into the context of Scripture. Thank you.