Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Eating More Fruits and Veggies

Yes, that's Amanda, yesterday, on her first day of school.


Forget January resolutions. Back-to-school August has always felt like the new year to me, automatically signalling time for me to reorganize and reprioritize as I get back on a schedule. Summer was great--lots of time to read (and blog), but just as my daughter was ready to get back to school (friends) and begin the third grade, I also have been gearing up for the routine that her schedule will impose upon me.

In addition to cleaning out clutter, and cracking down on discipline, one of my resolutions is to eat better. Reading The Color Code last year really helped me get excited about eating fruits and vegetables for the health benefits that they provide. The plan includes eating fruits and vegetables from different color groups (red/orange, yellow, green, and blue), in addition to striving for ten vegetable servings a day. Yes, ten. Now when I was trying to follow this plan, I rarely actually hit ten servings. However, I did often get over the five which is commonly recommended and seldom reached by the population in general.

So, the way that I managed to encourage myself to eat more fruits and veggies, and to encourage my family to do the same, was simply to make a chart and post it on the fridge. I'm all about a little friendly competition, even if it's just with myself. Keeping a piece of notebook paper on the fridge, and simply putting tally marks on it, totally works for me when I'm trying to decide what to eat. So, the chart's going back up, and hopefully I'll be making wiser food choices. When you are trying to eat 7 - 10 servings of fruits and vegetables, there's not as much room to eat chips or candy or other things that I probably shouldn't be eating as much as I do. It also helped my daughter make her own good choices (another lover of the competition), because the two tally marks would be right there staring at her telling her that she really should eat an apple instead of a chewy granola bar. I also use it for my toddler, because it was convicting to me to see the lack there (since pretzels and graham crackers do not count as vegetables).

You probably know the saying that if you don't have a target, then you're sure to miss it, and a simple piece of paper with tally marks is my target. The book really made those foods something I wanted to eat, as opposed to what I should eat, so do think that another book skimming is in order as well.

Go over to Rocks in My Dryer to see what works for everyone else this week:

16 comments:

Dianne said...

That is a great idea. I think it really helps to focus on eating the good things, and then you're right - there's just not as much time for junk. But you have to make it an intentional target, as you say.

Beck said...

That's a really good suggestion. I've been trying to have fruit for my afternoon snack (yeah, I eat like a 3-year-old) instead of my usual afternoon snack of cookies. (again, I eat like a 3-year-old.)

Mom2fur said...

I was just thinking this morning that I need to stock up on fruits and vegetables again. I'm craving oranges for some reason. (Must need Vitamin C, LOL!) We eat salads like nuts around here, but I still don't think we get enough of it all. Ten servings--wow, I'd go broke. Beck, I had milk and cookies (freshly baked Tollhouse, mmmmmm) yesterday. Who eats like a 3-year-old, huh?

Susanne said...

Great idea! I have 2 veggie eaters and one who's not nuts about a few of them. Great reminder for me to snack on those instead.

org junkie said...

Super idea! I might have to include this tally on my dining room flipchart daily organizer. It might surprise us to actually tally up how much f&v we are or aren't eating. Thanks.

Katrina said...

Good idea! "Healthy" competition often helps me accomplish things, too.

Mama Duck said...

Wonderful idea! Our tip is up and we're also hosting the Carnival of the Vanities today - busy day in duck-land!

Joshua Lake said...

What a great idea. I've never heard of the color system, but I like it. I'll think about giving that a try.

Heather said...

love the competition idea. some days i'm a health nut. others, i just want cookies and ice cream. and chocolate, lots of dark chocolate.

The Roaming Southerner said...

healthy competition! HA! I love it, and will do it with my hubs!

The Roaming Southerner said...

Yes, I did add the tie ups. I just found some pretty ribbon that went with my room colors and tied slip knots. I cut the panel to a certain height. You can even witch-stitch and iron to hem. I didn't because the bunching hides it! My one tip is to buy LOTS of the ribbon. I had two rolls of 5 yards, but I wish I had 3 or 4.

Magnanimity said...

I want to know what a blue vegetable is.

Jennifer said...

Blue is the hardest, actually, but includes dark purple as well--eggplant, blueberries, raisins, purple grapes etc.

Pass The Torch said...

Great post - it's really funny because I'm planning to write about similar things on Saturday, which will be my 100th post.

Thanks for commenting on my WFMW!

Home of Pass the Torch Tuesday

Katherine@Raising Five said...

That's a great idea. I have to go to the store twice a week for fruits/veggies as it is, but I think there are a couple of people around here who are not on the healthy choice bandwagon. This might help me single them out!

That is a precious picture. Your daughter's 7 and going into 3rd? Your cutoffs must be different from ours! My 3rd grader will be 9 in Dec.

Wendy said...

What a good picture and great idea.