Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Love Journal

I wrote in this post about my need for encouraging words and my husband's forgetfulness about expressing them. In January 2005, I came across some journals on sale. When I saw this red suede one with "Love Notes" embossed on the front, I had an idea, so I bought it.


On the inside, I wrote a note to Terry telling him my new idea. We could exchange this journal anytime we wanted to express something to the other. My first note to him was complimenting the patience and grace that he had recently shown me. There were a couple of instances when he could've and should've been angry with me (like a careless mailbox swiping incident that obliterated my side mirror). When he wasn't, I thought, "Wow, he's really growing." I also thought, "Gee, I should be nicer and more forgiving myself," but that's another story.

He has used it to wish me Happy Anniversary, Happy Mother's Day, telling me he misses me when I've been gone, and to express something that he's appreciated about me.

It has become a wonderful substitute for cards in general. I often forget to buy them, and he thinks that "they are stupid, and no one reads them anyway." I enjoy receiving them, mostly for the sentiments written inside, but I've never been sure what to do with them when I get them. This way the sentiments are stored in one place.

I have started one with my daughter as well, since I'm horrible about keeping a journal about her. I have to admit that I haven't kept up with it much, but I need to write something. I think I started it over a year ago, and I think that she would be much more proactive about keeping it going now if I reintroduced it.

This is what Works for Me. If you want to see what is working for others, go see Shannon. . . .
<
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

24 comments:

Katrina said...

What a sweet idea!

Trisha said...

Katrina's right this is a really sweet idea. A good way to stay connected and a good pick me up read when you are feeling down.

BooMama said...

LOVE this idea...and what a great thing to pass down to your kids one day. Awesome.

Michelle- This One's For The Girls said...

Great idea!!

Beck said...

That's a really great idea. I have a husband who is a terribly sweet man, but also just plain terrible when it comes to actually saying loving things. I'll see if he likes this idea. too.

Laurel Wreath said...

What a sweet idea. I love it, it meets the needs of everyone around.

sjdecorates said...

Sounds like you are establishing quite a legacy....wonderful idea!

Eagles Wings said...

What a great idea! Hmm can somebody watch the boys while I go SHOPPING! (just kidding)
Blessings

Magnanimity said...

I started one last summer to put in my husband's stocking for Christmas. He loved it. I also worked on ones for my two "readers". They often ask if I've added anything new. Seems to take a "challenging season" to remind me to put anything in them, unfortunately!

Tammy said...

Oh, Jennifer, I LOVE this idea! I mean, I really, really do! So much so, that I think I may try this!
My husband is a sweet guy, but not overly bountiful with the loving words on a daily basis. Not only would this help, but it would also help us focus on the positives.
But speaking of him, if you haven't already, please check out my tribute to him. Words or not, he really is a pretty nice guy.

Sounds like yours is too! Super idea! :)

Heather said...

Great idea! My husband is great at the verbal encouragement, but having a journal like this would capture those thoughts to read and reread on the hard days. Another editor may have rejected another article, but my husband loves me.
And, who knows, maybe children would love to see their parents' love and encouragement in the far distant future.

thehomespunheart said...

I love this idea! Thanks for passing it on!

Shalee said...

This is an EXCELLENT idea. I'm off to find a love journal now...

Becca said...

Aww...I want one now!!! What a great idea and very creative!

Stephanie said...

Wonderful idea! What you said about the cards is exactly how my husband and I feel about them (he thinks they're stupid, I like the written sentiments but don't want to save a pile of cards just for that). I'm going to suggest your love journal idea to my guy as a card substitute. Thank you so much for sharing!

momof3busyboys said...

Great idea! It is always easier to express oneself in writing than verbally. And it encourages creativity! I really love this idea!

R.G. said...

That's an awesome idea! I think I'll go get three of those journals right now -- one for hubby and one for each of my daughters. Thanks!

PastorMac's Ann said...

I really really like this idea. I'm going to try it! Thanks for sharing it!

Code Yellow Mom said...

This is a FABULOUS idea...My husband gives lovely cards, but I have the same dilemma about what to do with them after the occasion. My mom keeps them on her refrigerator and tucked in the hall mirror literally for YEARS, adn I refuse to follow in her footsteps in that regard, but it seems a shame to toss them...So I have a few BOXES of letters and cards crying to be sorted through. One little book of tender sentiments sounds so simple and beautiful!

e-Mom said...

What a brilliant idea! I love to hear about what makes people's marriages work. How cool.

aggiejenn said...

So sweet! What a great legacy!

Kelley said...

I really like this idea too. My high-school sweetheart and I used to pass notes in spiral notebooks between classes. (I still have them, even though he's not the one I married.) Reminds me of that, only better.

Heather said...

My husband and daughter have a notebook going back and forth. It is an on again off again project but one which when it is "on" they both enjoy.

Kathleen Marie said...

I LOVE this idea. We do buy cards and I do love them but you are right about what to do with them. I do think I have saved most of them but haven't done anything with them. This is great!