Saturday, August 12, 2006

News from the Road

Forgive any typos or spelling or grammatical errors. I am typing on a strange computer, I woke up at 4:00am (which is really 3:00am adjusted time, over 12 hours ago), and I got about five hours of sleep.

Why? My grandfather passed away yesterday. We had known it was probably coming this week. I will probably post more about that tomorrow. I appreciate prayers for my family, including my grandmother, who survives him, and my mom who is an only child.

So, we had an 8:00am flight and the airport is over an hour away. With the new travel restrictions (even at this smaller airport), we figured that we should plan to arrive by 6:00am. So, we got up early. The line was long. Very very long. The restrictions weren't a problem for us, since we were planning to check our luggage anyway. For infants and young children, you can bring milk and juice, which is good, because Kyle really likes his milk and juice.

On the plane, I brought some music for the kids to listen to. I knew Amanda would enjoy it and it would help her sit quietly, and I learned when Amanda was a toddler that sometimes a little music in a headset allowed her to sit still long enough to fall asleep. Given the early hour of departure, and the fact that Kyle doesn't really like to miss out, I thought some nap encouragement might be in order.

I brought our portable CD player discman with headsets, that we bought many years ago for our drive from Texas to Oregon to use with the cassette adapter. I felt hopelessly outdated when I dragged it out, noisy spinning and all, like I might as well have had a boombox on my shoulder. It did serve it's purpose, though, enabling him to sleep the last 40 minutes of the flight.

What I really need is this:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Well, of course I don't need it. It sure would be cool, though. I have been toying with the idea of one for a year or so, and now I think I'm sold. I don't know if I would get the super fancy video kind, but with those, you can even download little Disney shows, which could be very helpful for entertaining kids in waiting situations. I am not a walker/exerciser, but I think I would love to have my music with me and be able to dock it in the kitchen or wherever, and as I mentioned, I have just been enlightened to the use for kids' enjoyment.

Since I know that I am one of the last people on earth without one, what do you enjoy most about yours?




5 comments:

Katrina said...

I'm praying for you and your family...glad you made it there safely.

I've had an iPod mini (which I don't think they make anymore) for about a year. My favorite thing about it is that it makes housework more bearable. Since I hate cleaning, I put together a list of "energetic songs that I love" - I play that list and it helps the misery go a lot faster! And I just love having the songs from all my CDs in one place - any song I want to hear, I just pick it. I don't have to go dig out the CD or try to remember where I stashed that CD. It's all on my little green machine.

I'd love the video one, but can't justify it since I have the mini already. But it looks awesome.

Laura said...

i don't have an ipod so i'll stand with you as the second to last person on earth without one.

praying for you and your whole family over the next few weeks...

Michelle- This One's For The Girls said...

Jennifer, I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying for God's grace this week.

Re: my ipod. I love not having to drag a million CDs everywhere! I also love being able to keep my ipod play list and my kid's ipod play lists on the computer. When my kids want to borrow the ipod, we just replace my list with theirs. Cool, huh?

Magnanimity said...

My son won one at the county fair...actually, his 78 yr old grand-dad won it and gave it to him!

I thought it seemed redundant until I'd flown myself...the weight of even my top 10 CDs was enormous...and who can pick just 10?

Peace to you and yours.
Maggie

Laurel Wreath said...

Even when a death is expected, it is still very difficult when it does come. I will pray your family through them.