Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pure Obsession

This song really resonated with me as I listened to it on church Sunday. I've heard it before, but I have been feeling scattered lately, and I think it reminded me of what I need to feel peace. This praise chorus, written by Mark Altrogge, reminded me what is really important, and as I seek to sort of reorganize and declutter my life in this back to school "new year," I am reminded that I need to focus most on one thing.

Give me one pure and holy passion,
And give me one magnificent obsession.
Give me one glorious ambition for my life,
To know and follow hard after you.

To know and follow hard after you.
To grow as your disciple in the truth.
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you my Lord.
Lead me on and I will follow after you.
Lead me on and I will follow after you.
That glorious ambition is what I'm really pondering. Dictionary.com gives these definitions:
  • an earnest desire for some type of achievement or distinction, as power, honor, fame, or wealth, and the willingness to strive for its attainment
  • the object, state, or result desired or sought after
If my ambition is misplaced (on self), then even the simple and pure desire to know and follow after Christ can be sullied. If I seek to gain knowledge in order to show off the fruits of my relationship with Christ in leading Bible studies, writing this blog, being a kind, wise and gentle mother and a supportive wife, then the object of my desire is myself, or the praise of others specifically, not simply knowing God. The obsession, the desired result, should be the knowledge of Christ Himself. And that in itself should be enough.

8 comments:

Magnanimity said...

I think it is so hard to balance in my mind the upward and outward elements...the vertical and horizontal necessity of healthy communion with God.

The Psalms were written before the Great Commission was given. I think that they are still important, but in "panting for streams of water", sometimes I personally think I miss"
"Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
James 1:4

To persevere is to go on...in spite of the fatigue, in spite of the thirst, in spite of the blisters and the cold and the heat...

I wonder at times if it's my lack of "panting"...or if it's my lack of tenacity that's worse!

God shows us when it's time to take a break and center.

Great post!

Katrina said...

Very true. Yet in our human state, it is so hard to maintain that singleness of focus, that pure obsession with him. I know for me, it's a process of constantly asking Him to realign my desires, my focus, my purpose. Every day. And often more than once each day! It's so easy to fall back to a focus on myself.

Heather said...

Amen. Too bad my pride is so big and ugly and too often in the way.

Dianne said...

It's so hard to keep myself out of the way. I grew up in a setting where Christian leaders were constantly being "put on the throne" for their accomplishments, etc. And among the rest of us (non-leaders) there was almost an atmosphere of competition (well - there really were contests). I just look back and shake my head, and yet I still find it hard make sure my focus is entirely on Christ, not self.

Good thoughts and equally good lyrics (who wrote that?)

lady laura said...

Thought-provoking post! This is a regular struggle for me and for everyone, I think.

Magnanimity said...

on the Passion CD sang by Kristy Nockels (of Watermark). I'd say they wrote it, but haven't checked.

BooMama said...

We're on the same wavelength today, I think. And I love the lyrics that you posted, too.

That "one glorious ambition" is some powerful food for though. Everything else should pale in comparison, shouldn't it?

e-Mom said...

I love this song, and it was interesting to read about the songwriter's practice of memorizing Scripture. Thanks for your post!