Monday, August 28, 2006

Why Snapshot?

Barb, at Chelsea Morning, wants to know what our blog name means. I always wonder the same thing about a blog I'm reading, and I thought it was great to revisit the subject here, so I'll answer. You can check out everyone else's explanations over at her site, including Dianne's Unfinished Work, where I got the prompt to do this.

My first post introduced Snapshot like this:

In general, I feel like life is just blurring by, but in the midst of that, there are snapshots. Some may be significant, like my wedding day 13 years ago, or the first time I looked into the faces of the two babies that had grown inside of me for 9 months, but many are just a look at my life.

If I don't capture the snapshots, then hour after hour, day after day, does seem to blur, and many of the precious, funny or sad details might be lost. I guess that's what I'm going to try to capture here. A snapshot of a day, a moment, a feeling. . . . Perhaps by writing them down, they won't get lost in the blur, but will stand on their own.


After blogging consistently for a few months, I was beginning to wonder about my title. Did it really capture who I was and what this blog was all about? Then last month, I read a comment from Joshua Lake at Blest With Sons' blog, and it reminded me that, yes, this is what I was striving for.

A slightly revised version of that offhand comment is now my tagline: "That'’s why blogging is such a rewarding venture. It gives you snapshots of your past, and yet, surprisingly often, those snapshots catch you completely off guard."

Have you ever read something that you wrote and thought, "I wrote that?" Or looked back at a journal and thought, "I really worried about that little problem so much?" Perhaps even looking at pictures (of the paper or digital variety) causes you to marvel at how much things have changed and how much they have remained the same.

That's what I'm doing here each day--just a little snapshot of my life. Some are trivial, some are weighty, but all are significant (which is a version of my old tagline).

15 comments:

Barb said...

I like that. I like your whole attitude that all things, even the insignificant ones, are worth taking a mental snapshot and hanging on to. And you know, you don't really hear that word a lot any more - people talk about pictures and photos and digital images - so it almost has a quaint sound to it and I like that, too.

Susanne said...

I love the name and I love the new look. That Susie is one talented gal!

Julie said...

I like your "Snapshot" name!
It's amazing. You hit your mid 40's, and ALL of life is a blur. The ONLY things I seem to remember are what I write. My new life motto: Sticky Notes Are My Friend.

Pamela said...

I love the meaning behind the blog name and I used to always appreciate my Mom saying "remember this cause we might not ever get to do it again". Memories great or small make up and define who we are. Ditto what Julie said too. lol

on the Rock said...

Snapshots of the past... I like that alot.

Susie said...

I love the layout and your title. I look forward to visiting again.

Barbie said...

Creative name and I love your template!!! Very creative.

Randy said...

Jennifer,

Great title for your Blog. It's simplified. But sometimes less is more! Also, thanks for the comment on my blog!

Be well!

org junkie said...

Hi Jennifer, thanks for your nice comment on my site. Your blog instantly pulls you in wanting to know more. I love your description behind it. Can't wait to read more. Laura

Morning Glory said...

I like the idea of "snapshots". Being a 35 mm camera person still, I have many, many moments that are captured in my albums. A friend said once that the very act of taking the picture creates a memory, whether the picture turns out perfectly or not. So I would imagine that applies to things written down. You can always go back and look at it, and see where you've been and why. Great name choice!

Thank you for coming by my blog today.

Michelle said...

Your blog title is so clever! And I think the meaning behind it is so true!

Big Mama said...

I love the name Snapshot because it's what we're all doing as bloggers, catching little moments in time that will otherwise be forgotten.

Brenda said...

Nice blog! I love the title and the meaning behind it. Great choice!

Laurel Wreath said...

Ok it is bad enough our birthdays are only days apart, but now I see you have been married for 13 years...well guess what beginning September it will be 13 years for us. do dodododododod (twlight light song).

Eagles Wings said...

I love the name, and I love your new look - the blog! I was a photographer by trade many 11 years ago...and I love the name snapshot, but now I will look at it a different way when I see your blog. Thanks for sharing...oh yeah like Julies comment sticky notes are my friends