Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Destination. . . .

I like to travel. And unlike many of you who like to travel, but don't do it as much as you would like to, we usually do travel--some sort of family vacation each year (like to Cape Cod), a husband and wife weekend getaway when we can squeeze it in (which is harder now that we don't live in Houston with family, but we've still managed a couple of nights away), and a longer vacation retreat for the two of us at least every two years. In my profile here on blogger, I listed travel as one of the things that I enjoy and would write about. Someone found my blog recently through my travel interest listed on my technorati profile, and I realized that I haven't really written all that much about my experiences on the road.

I have a few ideas brewing, so I will be sharing some destination pieces with you, and maybe some travel memoir or guide book reviews as well. My goal in these pieces will be to give information to someone who might actually be traveling to that place, or perhaps to plant a seed that it would be a wonderful place to visit. I will share the kind of things that I look for when I am planning a trip: cost, types and availability of lodging (and areas to target or avoid), activities for the audience (family trip versus couple's getaway), and food recommendations (of course).

But what I thought might be particularly interesting is to sort of create a virtual traveling experience, by sharing some sites that have fun information on the area that you could explore on your computer, if not on foot.

I don't know if I'm the only one who enjoys the process of reading up about a trip almost as much as taking the trip. I enjoy reading about places--their culture and way of life--in guidebooks, but also as they are represented in nonfiction, in novels set in that location and even online reviews. If there's anyone else out there who enjoys that kind of information like I do, I would hope you would find these future pieces interesting. If not, I'll only be posting on that a couple of times a month, so if you don't like it, you can just hit "mark read," or skip right down the page, and that's okay with me.

9/2006 Portland, Oregon

Next up: New York City

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I'm looking forward to it! And while you're at it, please share your Priceline tips, because I'm too chicken to give it a try, but I know you're the queen of Priceline. :)