Thursday, September 14, 2006

How I Met my Man

Dianne once again pointed me to a fun feature that Barb us doing, at a Chelsea Morning. She has asked the question, "How did you meet your honey?" It's a story I haven't told here, and they are so fun to read that I jumped at the chance. If you want to link yours, click her link and add your post to the list. If you don't have a blog, but want to share in the comments here, please do.

When I was a freshman at Texas A&M University, the first person I met was Bill. We went to Fish Camp orientation together. When we came back to start school a few weeks later, we naturally hung out a bit. I lived in a girls' dorm, and Bill lived in a boys' dorm, so he naturally thought that he should bring over a bunch of guys from his floor to see what the girls on my floor were up to (isn't that really the purpose of college?). One of the boys that he brought with him was Terry. My roommate and I both thought that Terry stood out. He was fairly quiet, but nice. I remember that we discussed a common interest in Billy Joel music at one of our first meetings. I had a boyfriend from "back home," but I told Bill that if I was looking for someone to date, I'd want him to fix me up with Terry. Fast forward two years.

I had broken up with said boyfriend, who was a nice guy, but just not the guy for me. I was now a junior in college, and I was worried that I was not going to earn my MRS. Okay, not worried, but it did seem wise to capitalize on that time of a good bit of idle time, surrounded by other like-minded singles. So, I prayed. I prayed for God to send me a good Christian boy. Within a couple of weeks, Bill left a message on my machine, "Terry's going to call you. We're going to double date." I still remember that first invitation, "Bill and I were wondering if you'd like to go to the movies. Bill is going with Laura." I said yes. We saw the cinematic classic Days of Thunder.

I think that this is the first picture of Terry and me, taken sometime that Fall of '90,
by my roommate, who came up with a plan to be sure she got a picture of us!


There was just something about that date that made me think that God had answered my prayers. I came home and told my friends that I was pretty sure that I had met the man I was going to marry. That was in October, and we were engaged about a year later, and got married the following January when Terry finished Grad school.

At Texas A&M, "the ring" is a big deal. Alumni still wear them and are recognized by them.
Aggie Seniors have a Ring Dance. My dad and Terry's dad both went to A&M, and we had seen
pictures of our parents under the ring when they attended Ring Dance together. Terry
wrote on the back of the picture, "You know what happens once the picture is taken."


Our wedding was one of the first snapshots that I captured here if you want to read it. Now that I'm so handy with the scanner, I've even added a picture, so you might want to click over even if you've read it.

15 comments:

Kathleen Marie said...

What a sweet story and you two look so super cute together. I love happy endings!

lrlwreath said...

What a sweet story. I did not want to go to colleg but my parents "strongly encouraged". And I would joke with them "Fine I will go but I am only going to go get my MRS degree!". Well I did get my MRS degree but also a college degree (made everyone happy, ha!)

Pass The Torch said...

I'm loving reading these "how I met my man" posts. They're so sweet! Maybe I'll do one for my hubby on his b-day in a few weeks.

I had to laugh at the pic in the early 90's. We have on that looks just about like it;)

Kelly
I’m looking for feedback.

Susanne said...

What a nice "snapshot" of your meeting! I love reading in these how God answered people's prayers. Beautiful love story!

Jen Rouse said...

Cute story and photos!

Katrina said...

Oh I loved this! Thanks for sharing the pictures, and the beginning of the "Terry & Jennifer story."

Pamela said...

Jennifer, I love you story. The pictures are really nice and that "ring", my goodness, how interesting! You make such a cute couple! :)

Barb said...

That remark about isn't that why kids go to college cracked me up. But an awful lot of these love stories I'm reading started when two people met in college. What a nice story. And that Texas A & M ring is aweson. AND your wedding photograph is wonderful. What a beautiful couple and your gown was just gorgeous.

Kailani said...

I truly believe that when you meet the right person, you'll "just know". What a great love story!

Beck said...

I'm blown away by how many people knew on the first date that their mate was the right one for them - it took me SEVEN YEARS! But look how adorable you guys were! And what a sweet story!

Tammy said...

Great story! I love that first picture of you two together...you both are adorable, and it's obvious you share something special together in that early photo!
Thanks for stopping by my "love story" post today! :)

e-Mom said...

A fun post Jennifer! You are a beauty then and now (inside and out!) Your wedding post is wonderful too. *-)

Magi said...

The ring dance sure sealed that deal! Lovely story. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

How romantical!!!!!!!!!!!

Shalee said...

" was now a junior in college, and I was worried that I was not going to earn my MRS."

That is a classic thought among the college females I think! But you turned to the right matchmaker, I see. I love that you knew that Terry was the one after you prayed!