Friday, September 29, 2006

I am a Writer!

Yes, I said it.

No, no, I'm not announcing some fantastic book contract or alerting you to an upcoming publication, but it's become increasingly obvious to me that I am thinking and acting like a writer. Since undertaking this blog, which I started primarily to see if I had what it took to get serious about writing, I haven't been able to stop the flow ideas. I can't quench my desire to get those ideas out of my head and onto paper or my hard drive. I have notebooks in my purse and in every room in my house to make sure I capture that idea when it comes. I have countless drafts in blogger, thoughts jotted in journals, and titles saved in Word. The distinction between thinking I could or should write, and actually being a writer became clear recently while I was reading the first chapter of Jack Heffron's book, The Writer's Idea Workshop.
When I hear people talk at length about their idea, I find myself thinking, "You talk too much for a writin' man." There can be several reasons why they talk about the idea. First, if they talk about it, they don't have to go through the headache of committing it to paper. Immediate gratification! My advice--to you, often not to them--is not to talk about the idea until it has a life of its own on the page (page 7).
Now lest anyone who reads this begins to think I'm a quiet, introspective woman of few words, let me assure you that the words flow as freely from my mouth as they do from my keyboard. But the impulse to write sometimes harnesses those words. I can make an offhand comment to a friend and think, "I feel a blog coming on." So, in order to quiet that voice in my head, I write. I wake up a bit earlier in the morning and sometimes stay up a little later at night so that I can make time to capture an idea and turn it into something meaningful. Some other hobbies and interests have fallen by the wayside as I take time to develop this one.

Yes, I'd love one day to be a published writer, but whether I get published or not, I will continue to enjoy writing in my journals and on this blog. I will continue to read books that remind me that I enjoy what writing adds to my life. I will continue to refine and perfect the craft. I will continue being a writer.

+ = + + = + = + + = + = + + = + = + + = + = + + = + = + + = + = + + = + = +

This was written for the first Carnival of Christian Writers, which will appear the last Monday of every month at Writer. . . Interrupted. If you are interested in participating, see the guidelines at the link for more information.

5 comments:

e-Mom said...

Woohoo Jennifer! That's phenomenal. You ARE a writer. I've got notes, journals, ideas, and rough drafts too. There's not enough time in the day to post it all. I'm giving myself the rest of my life. How did we live before blogging? (Oh I know... way too many e-mails.) I do hope you can find a "paying gig."

Katrina said...

Ah yes, you have officially been bitten by the writing bug! I have "idea notebooks" pretty much in every room of the house, one in the car, 2 in my purse... So now I find myself saying, "Hmm... Which notebook did I use to write down that awesome idea the other day?" :)

Good for you for pursuing publication!

Dad said...

Jennifer,
I think that the blogging has been great for you. You write with clarity and a purpose. I, too, think that you are ready to proceed to the next step. When you decide on a subject, I think that you should go for it.
Love

Mary said...

I can totally relate to this...it brings a smile to my heart. Actually, it was almost a year ago that I was right where you are, except for the blogging part. I started blogging a few months later. Visit my blog today on the carnival ride and read about my struggle with the "obsession"! :O)

Nice to meet you!

Heather said...

It took me a while (and it's still a struggle) to call myself a "writer" in public when I'm not really published. Does one article constitute me a writer? Is it the fact that I can't stop writing? Would it be when I publish a short story or a novel? If that never happens, am I still a writer?
Yes. I am a writer.
Thank you.