Monday, September 18, 2006

Outside


There's something freeing about playing outdoors.
Something out there that beckons and lures
Us to leave the dark and the closed up inside
And venture outside and soak up the light.

In outside play there's no batteries to use
Like inside fun where electronics exude
The frenzy of mental stimulation
And playing without imagination.

Outside we can run and take big breaths,
As our cheeks get flushed and our brows sweat.
We can scream and use our outside voices
Bike or climb? So many choices. . . .

The leaves are turning, but the air is mild
So I long for the outdoors like a sun-browned child.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wrote this yesterday while my third grader played outside with her friend--imagining horses, and Super Twins, and picking raspberries, and riding scooters, and just sitting under a tree. Ever since Spring, my toddler has also longed to be outside, to ride his little car, blow bubbles or draw with sidewalk chalk, or just run in the driveway. Even I absolutely love to sit on my front porch with my laptop. There is something fresh and clean about it that makes me feel as if I'm making the most of my day. The table on my sunny back deck is a favorite place to read or work on Bible studies.

Fall is coming soon here in New England. That will usher in Winter, which is supposed to be cold this year. The days outside will be reserved for sledding and playing in the snow on those days when it does snow, and taking advantage of a sunny day here and there.

11 comments:

Beck said...

Oh, fall isn't just coming where I live - it is HERE. The leaves are falling, the weather is cool and today we're getting about thirty feet of rain. Beautiful poem! I feel pretty gloomy about winter, personally.

Midlife Moments said...

I miss fall- I miss all of the seasons except summer, which it tends to be every season here in florida!

Great poem, thanks for sharing it :) I havent been by in a while (life has been crazy) but stopped in to see how you were doing!

Heather

Katrina said...

Very nice! We didn't spend tons of time outside this summer - it was really humid and miserable for parts, and with the new baby...well, it just didn't happen. But now that the weather is cooler, we're taking advantage of it. I need to get me a porch though - that would be perfect!

Tammy said...

Beautiful, Jennifer!

Yes, this described my feelings of outdoors too. Here in Oregon (you know, because I remember you lived here for awhile!) the winters are wet...that cold, penetrating wet. I don't like being outside in that, so I want to take advantage of every mild day we can.

Today, though...you guessed it. Rain.

Love your poem, Jennifer!

Jammy said...

Nice poem! I don't "meet" many people online from here in New England so it's extra nice.

JEnn

CyberCelt said...

Here for C&C Monday. You have visited me in the past and I am returning the courtesy.


I wish I could see fall colors. We have 2 seasons in Texas: hot and hotter.

Heather said...

Mmmm. I think I'll go running.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

I love fall and it looks like here in NC we are already getting a small dose. I'll take low 80's over high 90's anyday!

L.L. Barkat said...

Plus cider and doughnuts, and we can call it a day. :)

Lori said...

Jennifer, Fall also leaves (no pun intended) me feeling like a new person. I loved your poem and thanks for sharing it.

Robin said...

O U C H: The truth of your line "playing without imagination".

I'm convinced children lose their ability to create and imagine b/c of their over-stimulation by electronics :/. BOREDOM can be a great teacher. At first, it's resisted, but that soon gives way to active thought, initially struggling to find "something to do", but then delighting in those "somethings".

Nice of you to share your poetic side w/us ;)