Sunday, October 15, 2006

Hi, I'm "Ro-Kare-Jennifer"

My grandmother Mimi is here this week. I am so proud of her for coming on her own. We have big plans for the week. She's already been blown away by the beautiful New England Fall (being from Texas, the land of one, maybe two, seasons--hot and not hot). Tomorrow we are taking a lovely drive to a nice little town, where we will drive country roads, see a gorgeous waterfall, and eat a pastry or two in town if we so desire. Wednesday I'm taking her into "the city" (as those of us in the New York area call Manhattan), and we're going to see the Phantom of the Opera.

So, since she's here, I've gone from being "Jennifer," or "Mom," or "Honey," to my childhood name of "Ro-Kare-Jennifer." Roselyn is my mom, and Karen is my sister, to me, but to Mimi they are Jen-Kare-Roselyn or Ro-Jen-Karen. Does anyone in your family call the role when they are trying to get your attention? Do you in your own family? I know that I am most guilty of calling Kyle, Shadow or Shadow, Kyle. Will you agree with me to the similarities between a dog and a toddler underfoot when you are trying to get dinner ready?

I have a few advance posts ready, and I'm sure I'll come up with much to say, but if I'm a bit scarce over the next week, that's why.

11 comments:

Barb said...

I'm sure she's very impressed with all the beauty - Connecticut is a gorgeous state, especially this time of year. Thanks for letting us know why you may be a little scarce this week - I'd say you have a very nice excuse.

And yeah, I call the roll, but I do it just trying to get everyone's name right. Sigh.....I remember when I thought my mom was just downright strange when she did that. :-)

Connie said...

Growing up, I thought my name was Vickie-Susie-Vonda-Connie-STOP-THAT!! :)

And yeah, I do it to my own kids too. Sometimes I just look at them and say "whatever your name is..."

Jeannine said...

It sounds like you're going to have a really nice time.

My mother-in-law always calls her two sons Joe-Vince. That way she's always covered. :-)

The first year we had our dog, Brody, I always got his name mixed up with Timothy's (Tim was two at the time). They were the two getting into the most trouble so I think it makes perfect sense. :-)

Anonymous said...

Very funny! I was always somewhere in the middle of an 8 or 9 name roll call when my grandparents would talk to me, I never minded though, I thought it was funny. Now I can relate as I here my dad call my daughter Lay La Lou (it's actually one of Lani's nicknames from my dad). My kids think it's totally normal to here their name called in a roll even when I'm only addressing one of them. They'll feel totally normal when "it" happens to them!!

Gette said...

I usually runt through all the kids' names before I get the one I want. Haven't used the pets yet. hubby's mom did that, tho...

Jane said...

have a great time with your grandmother. We went to see Phantom when we were in New York.....it was great, it was even funny in some places, which I wasn't expecting!

Katrina said...

Very funny! My mom never did this, but my mother-in-law (with 8 kids) does occasionally. And Chad will never live down the time he called me, "Mom" or the time he called me by his little sister's name.

mchampion said...

Yeah for Mimi! I know you two are going to have a blast. Tell her Hi. Makes me want to plan a trip:)

I never was called the right name and my kids are used to it. At least with Jason it sounds like My Jason!

e-Mom said...

We've never had a dog and a toddler together (underfoot at dinner) but a cat with a loud meow, yes. I loved it when my little ones could still be carried in a backpack, because I'd pop them in at dinner and cook with both hands free.

Enjoy your visiting and the autumn weather!

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. When I taught school, I could be looking straight at a 7th grade boy (Luke) and call him Amy. Must have been a very water-logged day. And once while we were dating I called my boyfriend by my ex-fiance's name. Oops, but he still married me.

I hope you have a wonderful week with your gram!

L.L. Barkat said...

We just went into "the city" this Saturday... seeing the Hudson out the train windows this time of year was splendid. How did she like Phantom?