Thursday, October 12, 2006

Laugh More

Go read this post first, please. It gave me chills, in a good, thoughtful, embrace-what-we-have sort of way. Click it now, and a new window will open up. Read and return. . . . I'll wait.

I need to laugh with my kids more, just as Heather described. I need to let them laugh. Can I admit to all of you here that sometimes I get irritated at the mayhem? I'm quite sure I'm not the only one, but to be irritated at the joyful merriment of Amanda and her friends or Amanda and Kyle? How sad is that? Their joy (no matter how loud and frenzied) should bring me joy. Now, in my defense, as you also know if you are often around children, joyful merriment between a toddler and his much older sister often turns into shrieks, not of delight but of annoyance, which does not stop the older sister's antics. But, seriously, I often (but apparently not often enough) ask in prayer concerning my children that I will delight in them. I want to love that sound, and I want to join right in more often.

If you feel so led, pray for Emma Grace, and I'll ask you to pray for her Mommy too.


Lord, thank you for entrusting me to raise Amanda and Kyle. Thank you for their strong joyful personalities. Help me to delight in them and to give them the boundaries that they need to continue and explore those personalities in way that is honoring to You and to the family. Let our home be filled with laughter and joy.

I pray for Heather. Thank you for the strength that you give her each day. Thank you for her openness to share her lessons--her ups and her downs--with those of us who read her blog. Help her to enjoy each day with Emma Kate, unhindered by worry or fear. Strengthen and protect Emma Kate's body and keep her spirit strong as well.

In the name of Jesus,
Amen

5 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Funny how one child's joy can be a big person's irritation... yes, I try to remember that this is My Blessing... maybe the key is what you imply... laugh along with them... then the irritation may shake off and roll out the door. :)

Lindsey @ enjoythejourney said...

If this post wasn't a smack-in-the-face reminder to enjoy the journey, i don't know what is.

Thanks for sharing Jennifer.

By the way, I love your idea exchange. I've been a little out of blog world the past few days and I will be gone for a week, but when I get back I'll post some of my ideas.

Barb said...

Hi Jennifer,

I read her post last night and I was thrilled. It's so nice that she decided to just enjoy Emma's laughter. Things have been so tense for all of them for so many weeks, it was like a breath of fresh air when she decided to just relax and enjoy her daughter in the moment.

I think we all get so caught up in the day to day upbringing of our children, it's easy to forget to be like a little child and just have fun with them.

Heather has always been an inspiration to me. I love it when she's happy.

Katrina said...

Good reminder for all of us. It's so easy to forget to laugh with them... but it's always worth it when we do.

Tammy said...

I am so guily of this...being a slightly "nervous" type...ugh. Thank you for the reminder to enjoy the little moments and to relax!