Monday, October 16, 2006

Romans: God's Kindness



Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance (Romans 2:4)?
God has been teaching my husband to be merciful and kind and patient in dealing with the exploits of his wife lately. A few recent, very true, examples:
  • paying a large credit card bill out of the wrong account, narrowly missing a big bounce
  • narrowly missing someone's mailbox, which knocked off my side mirror on my car (but didn't seem to damage the mailbox)
  • and most recently, overshooting the garage and slamming into the house.
These are just the big things that I recall from only the last six months. Now these were all careless errors on my part, deserving of judgment. I hated to own up to my errors, worrying about his response, which would have been justified. But, like I said, God's been teaching him. Terry has been growing in tolerance and patience and kindness. He loves me just as I am and accepts me without reservation. Now, does his kindness cause me to disrespect him and be more careless with my driving (I'm not sure that is possible actually) and less careful with our finances? No, just the opposite, actually.

Since Terry is more financially savvy than I am and I can be more of a spender than he is, we recently went to a cash budget system at my request. This has helped me to obey his wishes on our monthly spending. Before, I would overspend "just a little" each week, often for good causes, like stocking up on a great deal at the grocery store, which ended up in a larger overage for the month. Now the law--the guidelines of the budget--has pointed to my disobedience, and led to repentence under the guidance of his kindness.

Because of the kindness, I want to please him more. I still fail, like when I crash into our house with our own car in broad daylight, but knowing that I will most likely be mercifully forgiven, I am able to own up to sin and admit that it is wrong (repent).

I am thankful that my husband is a godly man who reminds me of the attributes of God. It helps to see examples in the flesh. God is kind. He has given us the law, but He has provided a solution for us all caught in the hopelessness of sin. Because of this, I draw nearer to Him, embracing His kindness and patience and tolerance of my sin, while it paradoxically becomes more and more detestable to me as a result of His kind and complete love.

Index of Romans posts

7 comments:

Lindsey @ enjoythejourney said...

I've done the garage thing and checking account thing myself as well :)

Thank God for loving husbands! :)

Kathleen Marie said...

Boy do we have a lot in common! My husband and I recently took the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class. I HIGHLY recommend it. I do the envelope system and it really seems to work for me.

I have the same car problem as well. Just a bit more careless but then again, I usually had the kids in the car with me, a big distraction at times, whereas he drives alone much more often. Not, that that is an excuse, just a good reason why I believe more women have small careless accidents.

And yes, Thank God for loving forgiving husbands!

Katrina said...

I agree - my own husband's kindness and forgiveness inspire me to "do better next time." I see it in my interaction with Camden too - he'll often want to live up to the way I treat him. When I treat him with kindness, forgiveness, grace, he is more likely next time to want to act in a way that is "deserving" of those responses.

CyberCelt said...

Here for C&C Monday. I set up my bills ot autopay. What a relief to know that I am not forgetting to pay a credit card bill. If you are late, they charge a big late fee and usually raise the interest to over 20%.

I am planning to become debt free next year. It will be worth it.

I have knocked over a mailbox and ran into my house as well. Hang a tennis ball from the ceiling so that it hits your windshield when you should stop. You could also put some bricks or traffic stop down.

Heather said...

Don't you love merciful husbands that truly model the Eph 5 husband, who loves as Christ loves us?

Anonymous said...

Good post on Romans. I am enjoying my read through this book now as well.

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing such great examples. I especially liked this quote "Now the law--the guidelines of the budget--has pointed to my disobedience, and led to repentence under the guidance of his kindness. "

It goes right along with what we are studying in BSF.