Friday, November 24, 2006

Book Habit Meme

Dianne over at Unfinished Work created this book poll, asking us about our reading/book habits. I love it! Answer any of these questions yourself in the comments, or let me know if you do it on your site, and I'll come check it out.

Where do you most often buy your books? Online? Secondhand stores? Big name bookstores?
I almost never pay full price for a book in a big store (or even the 10% off). I bring home a good deal of books free on the library free table, I buy at a lot of booksales or half price stores. Lately, I have bought a LOT of books at a new Overstocks store. I can look and browse, and each new book is just $4 or less. This is horrible for me (and my bookshelves). I also take advantage of Costco's great book prices, and spend a lot of time and money on amazon.com.

If you buy online, which do you prefer - B&N or Amazon.com? Ebay? Christianbook.com? or elsewhere?
I like amazon.com for their prices, free shipping (which "makes" me up my order to $25 to take advantage of that), and their reviews and recommendations are the best.

Do you put your name in your books? If so, are you a bookplate or stamp person?
I usually only write my name in a book if I loan it out.

How do you feel about loaning books to others?
I love to loan a good book that I've enjoyed to a friend. I would love to be able to buy books for people that I know that they would enjoy, but the next best thing is loaning a good book to someone that I hope that they would enjoy.

Do you highlight or mark your books as you read?
It depends on the book. Nonfiction books I usually do mark up (especially Christian discipleship type books), and occasionally a well-written scene in a novel.

How often do you visit your local library?
Two to four times a month. I spend most of my book dollars on nonfiction that I want to keep, and get fiction from the library and from friends. Amanda has quite a voracious book appetite, so we have to keep her supplied at the library.

Do you collect any certain kind of book?
No.

What do you do when you're done with a book and no longer want it?
I give them away if anyone is interested, but most often end up giving them to my library, goodwill, or selling them to a used bookstore.

Do you keep a list of or catalog the books you own?
No, and I don't really want to. I'm trying to be more ruthless about getting rid of some books so that I can keep the books I do have handy where I can get to them. I've been frustrated a few times looking for a book I know I owned, later finding it in a box in the attic.

Any other weird book habits you'd like to share?
Not really. I do really love books. There's something about being in a bookstore or even browsing online that makes me happy. It is my one shopping vice and I do spend more money on books than clothes or jewelry or shoes or any of that stuff. I have recently started feeling like there are way too many books and too little time. . . .

I feel like I just had a little book chat with Dianne, and I'd love to have a little book chat with you. If you answer these, let me know!

9 comments:

twiga92 said...

It's quite fun to read about others' habits when it comes to books and reading. I usually only put my name in a book if I'm loaning it out also.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your answers. I, too, have been trying to be a bit more realistic about books I will keep and books I won't -- and then actually taking steps to move those books out of the house.

Susanne said...

I did this one yesterday, too. It was fun to do and it's fun reading about other's habits.

BooMama said...

I'm just sitting here in awe that you actually READ. I used to read - long ago, in a faraway land called No Three Year Old.

;-)

Loved reading your answers, though - and I do love me some Amazon. I'd love to know the top 5 books you've read this year...maybe I'd get inspired!

Tammy said...

I think I could have answered all these questions about the same!

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Kathleen Marie said...

Excellent! I will definitely answer this on my blog tomorrow!

I am with you, I NEVER pay full price! Crazy! The ONLY time was college textbooks and I always felt robbed. More to come!

Have a great tomorrow!

eph2810 said...

Ah, yes books.I have too many and too little time to read them...
I usually buy my books on Christian.com, but also Amazon. But I have gotten a few from the second-hand store or as gifts. I just sorted some of my Bible study material and store it in a box.
I really wish I had more time to read; like you said - there are many books, but little time.

Lindsey @ enjoythejourney said...

It is fun to read others answers---I love books so much myself :) Just did this meme at my blog.

lady laura said...

Oooh, a book meme! How fun:) I am gonna try and do it too, in the next couple of days.