Monday, November 27, 2006

Bumps in the Road


In this week's Faithbuilder's Meme, Heather asks, "In what area(s) of your life have you been brought to your knees in humility? When was the last time you thanked your savior for the rough spots- for the bumps in the road- and for the fact that He always holds you through them?"

My experience is that it is exactly those rough spots that bring me into humility. Many of the bumps that we face seem to have nothing to do with pride: a rough patch in marriage due to the extra stress of a big change, such as a new job, a new home, physical illness of a family members, a death in the family, stress in relationships of the extended family, a new ministry or the loss of one. However, it is during these kinds of trials that God reminds me, "I am God. I am the Sovereign One. I not only know your path, but I am paving the road, be it rough or smooth." When things don't go as I have planned them, I feel God's presence, and I know that He knows the end of this particular journey. That humbles me in itself. Who am I to think that I know best? Who am I to avoid self-sacrifice or pain? Who am I to complain? Who am I to judge others when I have not walked down their path?
I Peter 5:10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
It brings to mind the story about the trees. When they are thick in a grove and protected from the small storms, they don't have the strength to stand when the strong winds come. The ones that have had to hold fast during the small storms can also weather the big ones. I want to have deep roots and strong arms to take what comes at me. I want to not only survive, but to thrive in their midst.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

It truly is those rough spots that help to make us strong and anchor our roots, isn't it. If we can't trust in the littler rough spots how do we expect to have the faith for the truly huge things. It's like a weight lifter does not start out by lifting the world record weight. He builds up his strength with the smaller weigths first.