Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Christmas Journal


It's the Christmas edition of Works for Me Wednesday! Click the banner above for more tips to keep you sane this holiday season.

My tip is to keep either a Christmas journal or photo album. It's amazing to see how the family changes year to year, and it's neat to have the memories all in one space, instead of interspersed year by year in the family albums. You can easily do five pages in your acid and lignon free album of choice, being sure to include your Christmas letter (if you send one), a copy of your family Christmas pic, and candid shots of the present frenzy.

However, that's not really a "make your life easier tip" is it? It's more a "pile on more guilt and pressure to perfectly preserve your family history" sort of trip.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the link to the journal that I featured in my Welcoming Guests tip months ago.

They also have a Christmas Journal. I have seriously wanted to do something like this for ten years--record where we went, special celebrations, memorable gifts we received, and a photo or two. But, I'm organizationally and motivationally challenged, so year by year, I haven't really done any sort of thing. So, I'm buying this for myself and I'm starting this year. This has the traditional Journals Unlimited format that I love, but instead of just two pages per entry, it has five, including space for some photos, cards, etc. They can also be personalized for an additional fee. What a great gift idea for those hard-to-buy for types!

If you don't really care for the journal format, I actually have this album, and it's lovely. You could always use this in addition to your five page spread in your regular album, and even in addition to the journal (which I guess will be the case for me). It's a nice festive decoration. You might use this for your kid's picture with Santa each year. I try to get a whole family picture (meaning I'm not the one taking it) each year and put it in. One thing odd about these pages is that they fold out. You can just turn them like a normal book, which is what I do, but you can also pull them out (accordion pleat style) for a dramatic show of the years. (by the way, if there are any Once Upon a Family reps out there, who want to shamelessly plug for the business if anyone wants to order, leave your email below. I am a former rep).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute journal ideas....

Jaime said...

Good idea!

Just yesterday I got a Christmas Memories book from the dollar store. It's got places to put your favorite memories, traditions, etc. I love having the question/answer format because otherwise I'd forget something!

Jane said...

love the journal links, great idea Jennifer.

Lines From The Vine said...

Very nice journaling ideas!

Thanks!
Tracy

kailani said...

What a great idea. Christmas is always such a happy time filled with wonderful memories!

Katrina said...

I'm really liking that journal idea. I am horrible about Christmas memories. I usually get so caught up in the day that I'm lucky if I even take pictures!! I may play copy-cat and get that journal to start this year, too. :)

Larae said...

Cute idea! =)

Lindsey @ enjoythejourney said...

I like it! :) I need to journal more and blog less!

e-Mom said...

Nice idea! You'll treasure the results.