Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Good Old-Fashioned Fun

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I like Halloween. I think it's cute, and fun, and allows kids to express their creativity. I mostly stay away from the "evil" aspects of it (although Amanda loved the haunted house this year at her school's Fall Carnival), and I don't give real demons a second thought on this day, so for our family, it's good clean fun. Plus, you get candy.

In addition to the big Labor Day parade, one thing that my little town here in Connecticut does, is trick or treating on Main Street. The road that my house is on twists and turns, is dark and there are no shoulders, and the driveways are very long. So, it doesn't make trick or treating very efficient or safe. So, people go out in droves to the houses along Main Street. I think that the town even buys candy for these people because they get hundreds and hundreds of trick or treaters. Because of conflicts the last two years on Halloween, this has been our first year to partake. And even though I mentioned here that he didn't like wearing the costume at the school carnival, when he knew that candy was at stake, he gladly donned the train. People thought he was awfully cute, if I do say so myself.

These homes that hosted all these kids (including quite a few preteens and teens and many many adults along for the experience) went all out. One lines their stone wall with about forty carved jack-o-lanterns every year. Another one created a Pirates of the Caribbean ship on their covered front porch, complete with pirates handing out candy. One of my favorites made the windows look like faces.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If you haven't voted in the Pink Diary's Halloween costume contest, will you please go and weigh in? Voting ends Friday. You can check out all the other entries, or just click right here and leave a comment voting for Snapshot (Super Amanda) as the cutest kid, and Shadow (the shy Dinosaur), as best pet costume. I don't think we have much of a chance with all of those cute kids (babies mostly), but maybe Shadow could come from behind! However, while you're over there, be sure to vote for Dianne at Unfinished Work as the best adult costume, dressed as her dog. Look at her. She deserves the gift certificate for this get up for sure! I haven't counted votes, but she's definitely in the running.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Enjoying the fruits of our labor!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You amaze me Jennifer! You are on top of it all, down to plugging my dumb dog costume. I tried to vote earlier and my comment got kicked off of course but I'll be over later for sure.

See, this post is another reason I really want to visit New England! I just knew there were places up there like that :) Thanks for sharing your evening with us.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

How funny that everyone goes to the same street! What a riot! I hope someone helps them pay the bills!

Your kids look GREAT! :)

We had a ton of fun too.

Jane said...

Great pictures, looks like you had fun.....love the whole "Main Street" idea, fun and for the community!

Beck said...

Great costumes! That's a good idea to have the whole street for trick-or-treating - it must be great for feeling like an actual community.

Katrina said...

Great pictures. And that really sounds like a wonderful community tradition.

Jaime said...

I love the Mia Hamm costume! So awesome. How fun that your town has that tradition! Here's it a free for all, as long as the porch light is on.

Thanks for your comments on my "Keepin' Up with the Joneses" post. I really appreciate them, and the time you put into it.

kailani said...

How fun! I was going to say that I feel sorry for all those people who live on Main Street but it's good that they're provided the candy. Must be fun to live there!

Pass The Torch said...

Looks like they had a great night!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.