Thursday, November 09, 2006

Isaac Newton Book Review

What do you know about Isaac Newton? If you read this book by Kathleen Krull, you will quickly discover a lot more. This is a juvenile biography, which I'm beginning to think is where I should look for biographies, which I enjoy, but don't generally have time to read. In three sittings, I read this 115 page book, and learned a great deal about Isaac Newton, his culture, his personality and his life's work. The whole time I was reading, I found it hard to believe that he lived and worked in the seventeenth century. The author helps us understand this time period with historical references, to the Bubonic Plague, for example, as well as mentions of his contemporaries, which included Milton and Hooke, and predecessors such as Descartes and Galileo.

Krull kept the book interesting by inserting references to popular culture (referring to something as a type of Newton for Dummies, comparisons to the popular Harry Potter series, and the disclosure that coffee houses have been around a lot longer than Starbucks). The clever pen and ink drawings by Boris Kulikov helped keep my interest and kept the tone light.

Because of mention of some more mature topics, I would recommend it for it ages twelve and up.

This book was nominated for the Cybils in the Middle Grade/Young Adult Non-fiction category. Click HERE to check out other nominations and other categories, or nominate your own. Nominations close November 20.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the rec! I'll have to try this one out.

Susanne said...

I love biographies and would probably like that I could get through it quickly!

Tammy said...

I love history and love biographies!

It's one of my favorite things to do "homeschool" with! ;)

And if you read my previous post on my rearranged Fall Reading Challenge, you'll know that I sometimes prefer the juvenile section!

kailani said...

I think I would even find this interesting being that I don't really know much about him. Thanks for the recommendation!

Gina said...

Thanks for recommending this one! I'm always looking for fun and informative books for homeschool!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,
Popping over via Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books...Thanks for the heads-ups. I, too, love juvenile biographies. They are quick, easy, and interesting and often give me a taste to read an adult biography of the person of interest.

I'm not familiar with author Kathryn Krull but see she has several other books that might be very helpful too.

Thanks!
Janie

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,
Popping over via Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books...Thanks for the heads-ups. I, too, love juvenile biographies. They are quick, easy, and interesting and often give me a taste to read an adult biography of the person of interest.

I'm not familiar with author Kathleen Krull but see she has several other books that might be very helpful too.

Thanks!
Janie

Jane said...

This sounds good, Jennifer, thanks for the review. Yes, I have read Bill Bryson and love his books, sometimes they even make me laugh out loud!