Monday, November 13, 2006

Memories or Bling?

"A getaway cruise comes and goes in a few days, but a diamond is forever." --a local jeweler's commercial on the radio
I had to disagree. I was almost shouting at my radio, "That's not true! Memories from that cruise will last forever!" My husband and I have reaped so much from the splurge of a great getaway:
  • Restoration of togetherness in marriage changed by children
  • Rejuvenation of spirit and personal resolve (in each of our jobs--his stress in going to work and my relentless responsibility of caring for the children)
  • Memories that do last forever
    • of a new culture
    • the beauty of a new place
    • a new experience or skill
    • new foods
    • a new language
  • Rest, a priceless commodity
Family vacations offer similar benefits, at least in the memory department and restoration of togetherness in a family stretched by jobs, clubs, meetings, and the everyday busyness of life. I would not advocate taking a family vacation, certainly with very young children, for the purpose of rest. However, while rest is elusive for parents taking charge of a crew, there is still rest from certain responsibilities--phones don't ring (although with cell phones are we ever blessedly unplugged?), laundry doesn't have to be done (at that moment, although it piles up as a future workload), meals don't have to be prepared, although meat might still have to be cut up.

I have been surprised with some nice jewels, and I do treasure them, but if I had to take one over the other, I'd take the getaway experience every time. It's been three years since I was given jewelry, but last year we went to Paris, and this year we hope to return to our favorite Caribbean getaway.

What about you? If you were going to splurge, would you prefer the bling of a diamond, or a fantastic vacation? What are some of your indelible memories or lasting results of a getaway trip or a family vacation?

18 comments:

Midlife Moments said...

Vacation? Could you describe one of those for me please...

Id choose a vaca any day. My most treasured memory is Emma's make a wish trip- it was amazing.

-H

Dad said...

Do you have child care for your Caribbean trip?

Heather said...

Getaway trip. Even though I don't have kids to get away from, I love trips.

Jane said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly....vacaction all the way, totally priceless!! And oh, Paris, I would love to go there!

Big Mama said...

Vacation without a doubt. The memories are priceless, but then again, I've never been much of a jewelry kind of girl.

Gina said...

Funny you should post this! I WANT BOTH for my birthday!

It's been a while since we went on a real vacation without kids! Our biggest problem is finding someone to watch the kids with family far away. Last time we left the kids with friends, but you youngest has never been good about being put to bed.

We're visiting family in December and hope to leave the kids and get away then!

Code Yellow Mom said...

Vacation for sure. Such an intriguing question...

Even a little getaway is so wonderful - my husband and I just went to the city next to our suburb and stayed in a hotel and saw sights that we wouldn't normally do, and just hung out and talked - it was so great.

Memories (and the relationships that happen while you're making them) really do last forever.

PEZmama said...

vacation, without a doubt.

I get to have a "getaway" ALL BY MYSELF the day before Thanksgiving. I got to do it last year, and I just found out that I get to do it again this year. I LOVE IT! I have no fantastic memories from the last time I did this, but I sure did get in a lot of r&r.

Tammy said...

I have to totally agree. When my husband and took our first week-long trip to Hawaii on our tenth- no kids (and no earthquakes!) it was pure bliss that I relive time and time again.

And actually, I've never been a real jewel kind of gal...they're pretty and all but they just don't get the juices going!

Katrina said...

I've never been much of a jewelry girl to begin with -- I'm forever forgetting to put on earrings in the morning, not to mention a necklace or any other adornments.

So I'd take the vacation. I'm not as adventurous as some. The thought of a trip to the other side of the world makes me more stressed out than excited. But there are so many places I'd love to visit, places I want to show my kids... and you're right - those memories are precious. And lasting.

sarah said...

vacation!!! without a doubt.

In addition to all the things you identified, one typically doesn't have to worry she is supporting abominable brutality with a vacation!

Susanne said...

Oh definitely the holiday. I'll take memories and a time away over jewelry any day.

Jaime said...

Definitely a vacation. Bling tends to get in the way. I just read a book about a family taking a year long trip around the world. Oh my how I would love to do that in a few years when kids are older.

org junkie said...

I'm way too practical for jewllery but am a horrible traveller because of motion sickness but I'd endure it just for the opportunity to go away with hubbie. We so need that right about now! Laura

Anonymous said...

Fantastic vacation ANYDAY....

I do like diamonds, but definately go for the vacation!

e-Mom said...

Can I choose the memories AND the bling? :~) Actually, I've never been much of a bling person. I'd take travel alone with my husband any day. (And we do more and more as we get older...) Travel is our all-time favorite thing to do together.

Goslyn said...

I would MUCH rather have a vacation. I've been seeing all these diamond commercials on TV and every time, I tell my husband "not to get me that."

For me, and my personality, jewelry is just a waste of money. But a trip, ah, a trip is LOVELY.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

I AGREE with you!!!

I have NO expensive jewelery. My engagement diamond is small - we were so young and poor. I thought one day we would upgrade, but I just can not imagine spending money on a diamond ring! We don't have extra to spare and what we have we use on our son and on expenses like vehicles, clothes and food! (I am not that frugal - I need to work on that.)

We are so blessed to have two vacation cabins of my parents that we use regularly - and all it costs us is gas. I value that time soooo much.

AND two winters ago we splurged and went to Hawaii. We took our son and we had a FABULOUS time that will matter far more to each of us than a diamond on my finger!

How bless you are to get to have such wonderful vacations - and the best part - tons of time to read! :)