Monday, November 06, 2006

Name-Dropping

At the request of Susanne (and because I am lacking in other ideas or the time to prepare them), I am submitting this as my Works for me Wednesday. So--mind you Wednesday readers that it was written on Monday, before election day, but the tip is still a goodie. See Shannon for some more timely tips, and go back next week for the Christmas edition!

In the last week, I've received phone calls from Laura Bush (two in fact), Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Tom Ridge. I did like hearing from the First Lady of the United States, but I hung up on the rest.

Of course they were all recordings, just reminding me to get out and vote tomorrow.

Here's a neat tip that I learned from my mother-in-law that has spared me much sparring from telemarketers (yes, we have caller ID, and I don't always answer an unidentified call, but either our phone or our service doesn't always pick it up, and often calls from friends come in as "no data" as well, so I often risk it). If you pick up the phone and there is silence, hang up right away! It's usually an auto dialer for telemarketers and someone will pick it up as soon as they hear that someone has answered it.

So, if you call my house, and don't speak up right away, and you happen to come up as "no data" on my caller ID, I just might hang up on you. Please call back, and speak up quickly.

13 comments:

Susanne said...

Heehee! We've figured this out too! If you have to say hello twice and no data or a 1 800 or 1 866 number comes up it's someone trying to sell you something.

Susanne said...

P.S. You should post this for WFMW

Anonymous said...

Tonight I was watching Seinfeld and Jerry got a telemarketing call. He told the guy to give him his phone no. and he'd return his call later that evening. "Oops - you don't like people disturbing you at home?"

I got a kick out of that!

kailani said...

Great tip! I hate telemarketers. They call at all hours even late at night. I rarely answer the phone at all anymore!

Gina said...

We don't have caller I.D. and I ALWAYS hang up right away after I say hello and there's silence.

And I've been screening calls all weekend because of the obnoxious recorded messages. It's enough to make me stay home and NOT vote tomorrow!

Katrina said...

I've done the "hang up if no one talks right away" for a while. And since my husband's work phone comes through as "unavailable," I'll often pick up the phone - just in case it's him. He's learned that he better say "Hi" immediately or I will hang up on him!

Domestic Goddess said...

you are quite a mover and shaker in the political circles.

Sarah said...

You know, you can hang up on them at any time... That is, even if they start in on their speil you can give the *click* at your leisure. You are the boss of your phone! ...just please don't hang up on me or kevin... =)

PastorMac's Ann said...

Oh, I so totally do this! We don't have caller ID so that doesn't help me. But I hate hate hate auto dialers! They had better well dial me direct if they want to talk to me!

Thanks for the tip. It's a good one.

Kathleen Marie said...

Yesterday was so annoying with phone calls. I'll bet there were 30.

Yesterday I also registered my phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry.

https://www.donotcall.gov

They keep your number on file for 5 years! I also registered my cell phone numbers just in case.

Thanks for the great tip!

Lines From The Vine said...

It took me so long to learn this...
I wish I had read this post a year
ago...I can't stand telemarketer calls!

Thanks for spreading the word!

Blessings!
Tracy

lrlwreath said...

I do that allllll the time =)

Shalee said...

I am soooo happy that the voting is over. I can finally answer my phone again.