Thursday, December 14, 2006

Away in a Manger

Sunday when my little 2 year old, along with the 3 - 5 year olds, sings this song at church, it may have a whole new meaning. It is a sweet song, and one of the first that little ones learn to sing.

The first couple of verses actually appeared anonymously in a book of verse in the late 19th century. James Murray wrote the music, and published it as Luther's Cradle Hymn, causing the lyrics to be wrongly attributed to him for many years.

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head.
The stars in the bright sky looked down where he lay,
The little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.

The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus no crying he makes.
I love thee, Lord Jesus! Look down from the sky,
And stay by my side until morning is nigh.

Be near me Lord Jesus,
I ask thee to stay.
Close by me forever,
And love my I pray.

Bless all the dear children,
In thy tender care.
And take them to heaven,
To be with thee there.


You probably thought when I said it would have a whole new meaning that I meant that I would well up with tears when I hear it. That may be so. It may also cause me to flush with embarassment or anger. When we tried to practice last Sunday night, he would not stand still. He would not sit beside me on the stage step. He would not let me hold him in my lap (that resulted in flailing and screaming). Sunday could be verrry interesting.

The Sweetest Gift by Tricia Yearwood features this hymn. I love, love this CD. I know, the cover is a bit early 90's, but if you like Tricia Yearwood at all, you'll like this CD. If you really like her, you'll love this CD. What's interesting is that all but two or three songs are what my hubby and I call "made up songs." You know, the artist gets creative and includes their own new song. I usually prefer the traditional carols and fun festive Sleigh Ride type numbers, but these are great, especially Sweet Little Jesus Boy and Take a Walk through Bethlehem.

Other Carols Blogged:

God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen

1 comment:

Barb said...

Away In A manger is one of my favorite songs to hear little children sing. I first sang it when I was very little, at a church performance. This song can be very beautiful sung by anyone but it seems made for the voices of little children, doesn't it?

I love Trisha Yearwood. 70's hair and all. I'll be on a quest to find this CD. Thank you for the tip.