Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Do You Need a Moment??

My 2 1/2 year old gets into everything. All the time. So, especially in a busy time of year (such as Christmas) or anytime I need to be able to get dinner going, make a phone call or any of those things that toddler's (and preschoolers, and eight year olds) just don't seem to understand, I often use the flashlight.

Flashlights are lot of fun. Just turn it on, and let them explore. Show a younger child how he can shine it in a dark corner, or under an end table. For the brave, shut them into a windowless room or closet. One flashlight is fun, but two flashlights and two kids is even more fun. Try flashlight tag.

The bright little flashlights make great stocking stuffers, and we always have plenty on hand.

Need more tips this busy time of year? Go over to Rocks in My Dryer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great learning too: shadows, cause and effect!

Anonymous said...

I agree - flashlights make for tons of fun, for both the toddler/preschooler set, but for the older kids sometimes, too.

Heather said...

I used to do the same thing with my cat.

Anonymous said...

Oriental Trading has some cute ones this Christmas in their catalog that say Jesus is the light! :)

Susanne said...

I play flashlight hide and seek with the dayhome kids once in a while and they love, love, love it!

Barb said...

You can't begin to know how much I appreciate this tip, Jennifer. Why on earth did I not think of this. Cameron is just keeping me constantly on a run. I swear, I'm giving him a flashlight the very next time he's here. What a great idea! You're a genius.

Tammy said...

Oooh, I like this idea, Jennifer! It might even work with both my girls at 4 and even 7!
If only it worked with my puppy, who is getting into everything while I'm trying to do something! ;)

L.L. Barkat said...

Gee, why didn't I think of that? My kids are always trying to sneak the flashlight anyway! (of course, my youngest enjoys shining it on my least flattering parts! :)