Thursday, December 21, 2006

Recipes--By Popular Demand

Okay, maybe it's by mild inquiry, and not popular demand, but Laura and Shalee asked about some of the no-bake items I mentioned on Wednesday. I made up a sample plate, just so I could post a pic here:



The pretzels are very easy, but a nice addition to a gift bag or goodie tray. I bought pretzel rods, dipped them in melted white chocolate, then Amanda sprinkled them with red and green sugar. You can also press mini M&Ms into it, or drizzle melted chocolate, or tint the white chocolate and drizzle red and green over the dipped white chocolate.

The toffee (on the left) is similar to the recipe that Big Mama posted. One thing that I did was took the white chocolate that had hardened in the bowl we used for dipping and scrape it over the top. I thought it made it look pretty.

The Peanut Butter Krispies (in the front) come from the Country Cookbook by the Eastland County Extension Homemaker's Cookbook. My husband's grandfather and his great aunt live there. Aunt Arleta is a great cook and featured in the cookbook, and it's from her that I got the toffee recipe.

Peanut Butter Krispies

4 3/4 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup sugar
1 cup white Karo syrup
1 1/3 cup peanut butter

Mix syrup and sugar and bring to a boil. When all is melted, add the peanut butter, mix well, and pour over the Rice Krispies. Mix and roll into balls or you can pour into a square pan and cut into squares. (I just dropped them onto wax paper, sort of randomly. I'm sure that the balls would be nice, and the bars would be more precise, but my way was easy.)

My aunt Dianne made these holiday treats one time (back, center). They are similar to the Girl Scout cookies, and perfect for kids to make. I just improvised this "recipe."

Peanut Butter Patties
Ritz or Town House crackers
peanut butter
chocolate chips, melted
optional garnish: M&Ms, or red and green sprinkles

Spread peanut butter on crackers, dip in melted chocolate (using two forks works pretty well). Place on wax paper to dry. Garnish as desired.

Amanda really wanted to make Peppermint Bark (right side) for some reason. I also made up this "recipe."

Peppermint Bark
Red and/or green peppermints, candy canes etc, crushed
white chocolate chips (I think I used two bags)
peppermint extract

Line a rimmed baking sheet (9x13) with wax paper. Melt white chocolate (I use the microwave. Cook for 1 minute on half power. Then stir. Cook for 30 seconds, and stir. Repeat until melted). Add a few drops of extract. Spread white chocolate on the lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the crushed candy. Break into pieces after it hardens.

7 comments:

Big Mama said...

Those all look so good and so easy. I'll be trying a few this weekend for sure.

Barb said...

How sweet of you to post these recipes. They're all so simple, they're easy to add to our Christmas Ever open house dinner plans.

I'm making Big Mama's BFF Gulley's toffee tomorrow. I've never made toffee. Can you believe that?

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Jennifer. What a delight it's been to meet you this year. Makes me look forward to 2007!

Kelly said...

Thanks for all the recipes. I can't wait to try some!

lady laura said...

Great minds.... I do the pretzel rods the same way. And our ways of making peppermint bark are similar.
They are so simple to make, yet some people are amazed by them. If they only knew... :)

Merry Christmas!

Barbara H. said...

We love peanut butter Rice Krispie treats. I also melt peanut butter chips and chocolate chips together and spread over them.

The peanut butter patties are new to me and sound good and easy -- great combo!! I'm adding it to my list of recipes to try.

Thanks!

org junkie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I think I can handle these...lol.

Have a wonderfully joyous Christmas!
Laura

Shalee said...

Oh my taste buds say thank you, thank you, thank you for the peanut butter krispies!

My waistline, however is "spitting in your general direction." Don't worry. It's all talk and I generally ignore it.