Saturday, December 30, 2006

Visions of Sugarplums

A Christmas Recap

Sharing a Room--I don't know if he had visions of sugarplums, but sharing a room with Kyle at my in-laws house enables me to hear all his chatter. As he wakes up, he talks to himself. He's a sound sleeper, so at night it's not a problem to go in and turn on a lamp to get ready for bed and read a bit before going to sleep. But he wakes up and starts talking. At home, I leave him in his bed and he sometimes dozes off and on for an hour or so. So, I waited him out. One morning he talked from 6:25am until about 7:10, so I got him up. But I listened. "Hair. My hair. Yeah." "A, B, E, E, G, H, G. . . . " "A. Next letter? O. oooo. O. O. ooooo." "Thomas? Where's Thomas?"

Some Conflict is inevitable with a houseful of people, and young kids with varying responses to being away from home. I probably wasn't as charming or stupid as I could have been, but I was okay.

Tradition--We saw the Christmas trees in the D.C. Ellipse near the White House. It was one of the warmest visits there ever, and even at night it was near 50 degrees, which made it more pleasant. There are all sorts of trains running on a very large track around the tree, which Kyle could have watched for hours. I think we may have started a new tradition, which my sister-in-law had already decided on for their family--watching the movie Elf with Will Ferrell. Funny stuff.

Family--It was our first year without Daddy Dick, but Grandmommie seemed to be okay. It's been almost a year. It was also the first year that Sarah was able to be with us as an in-law to be. She and Kevin announced their engagement earlier this month, and instead of spending Christmas with her family, she was with us. We all look forward to the 2007 wedding.

I'm still not back in my normal routine. Amanda stayed on in Virginia at the in-laws for a few days, and they brought her back and are here with us this weekend. That gives Terry's grandfather a chance to see our place here in Connecticut, so that's nice. Today we will do a bit of sightseeing. They'll leave tomorrow, and tomorrow night we'll have some friends over for New Year's Eve, another tradition that we found they came to expect after we did it for the last two years! Amanda loves having a few friends over, and we enjoy playing games and keeping it low key.

5 comments:

Midlife Moments said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! I pray that your new year is equally amazing :)

Be Blessed,
Heather

Susanne said...

That talking is sweet. My teen still does it. :vD

Sounds like a lovely holiday. I'd love to see the trees and that train in D.C. Sounds wonderful!

Dianne said...

Welcome back - sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. So cute about Kyle chatting to himself!

org junkie said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a nice Christmas. Too funny about the chattering :)
Have a nice new years!
Laura

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

Sounds like a nice time...I know what you mean about still not being back in the swing of things or in routine. I am there too!

Here's to a happy new year to you and your family!