Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Husband

A couple of months ago, I picked up Stephen King after a long hiatus from his work. You can read my review of Lisey's Story if you want to find out how that turned out for me.

Sometime after I stopped reading King, I also stopped reading Dean Koontz. I don't think it was because of the subject matter, but because of boredom. I had enjoyed his mix of suspense and a type of science fiction or fantasy for a good suspension-of-reality sort of read, and so I promptly read novel after novel end to end. I think that every writer has a type of pattern, to an extent, and so although each novel was different, they started to seem the same to me. I think that I got into my head that I had quit reading because of content. At the recommendation of a friend, I recently read The Husband. It was a great page-turning read. There was no sex and very little bad language. There was some violence, as befits the genre, but it was not gory (save one brain-splattering scene).

Thank you, friend, for the Dean Koontz reminder. After I began this book, I added Watchers to my favorite reads in my aStore, remembering it as one of my all-time favorites. I recommend that one especially for suspense readers who are also dog lovers. I'm going to try to read it again soon, since it's probably been ten to fifteen years since I first read it.

By the way, I found a Dean Koontz podcast last week and promptly subscribed and downloaded all eleven episodes. I have listened to about half of them, including a very sweet one about being a husband, and his own love story, the inspiration for The Husband. In other episodes, he speaks about the writing process, or the process of taking a book to the big screen. My first thought as I listened to him was, "He sounds so normal."

Incidentally, I know that some of you may think that all of this podcast chat is useless to you, since you might be pod-less, as I was until Christmas. I do want to let you know that anyone can upload itunes and you can use it to save podcasts and listen to them on your computer (or burn them to CDs and listen to them during your commute). I think I knew that it was going to be a favorite topic of mine when I made an ipod label when writing that first post on the topic. So, I will go back to the philosophy I shared in the Blog Meme, and say, "It's my blog, and I'll write what I want to." I trust that some will find the information useful, and those who don't can skip over it.

6 comments:

Susanne said...

I've never read a Dean Koontz novel. My BIL loves them however. I'll have to recommend this one to him.

Connie said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Lightening is by far my favorite Koontz, I'll have to check this one out.

At A Hen's Pace said...

My husband is a Koontz fan--he calls them "brain candy" for when he needs a change from theology, his preferred diet. So I wasn't sure I'd like them. Glad to know that women can enjoy them too--we have a lot of them lying around!

At A Hen's Pace said...

Jennifer--

Thanks for your emailed response. Tell me, how do you do that? Is it a Blogger setting?

Just curious!

Jeanne

Jennifer said...

Jeanne asked about my email responses. Yes, it's a blogger thing. If you go to settings, then click comments on that menu (at the top), you will see your comment preferences. You can opt to have your comments emailed to you. I love this because even if someone finds a post that is months old and leaves a comment, I find it.

If you do not have an email listed in your blogger profile, it just comes through to my email with no return address. However, IF you have an email address, it allows me to reply directly, which I love. So, I emailed her about her comment about Dean Koontz for women, giving her a couple of my other favorite titles.

I may make a new post making a general plea for people to add an email address, and seeing what everyone expects from me when they comment.

Katrina said...

You're welcome. :) (Am I allowed to "out myself" as the book-recommender?) I'm glad you liked The Husband, and I have to say that Watchers is right up there with my all-time favorites, too. Great, great book. Thanks for cluing me in to the Koontz podcast. I've downloaded all the episodes -- now I just have to listen to them. I'm really looking forward to doing that.