Sunday, January 14, 2007

I Say Maybe

Rachel over at Home Sanctuary asked, "What's Your Slogan?". Since I go around telling you when I said yes, I think that it's only right to share the thoughts that this post brought about for me.

I say "Maybe," or "We'll see". . . a LOT. The eight-year-old has it figured out. She knows that "We'll see" usually means "no." In a sense, she's right, but actually what it really means is, "The answer is no right now, and I don't want to argue about that, so I'm going to hold off on issuing the no, because I might feel like a yes later, but if you begin arguing with me, you will lose that possible yes opportunity."

The "Maybe" is usually for the two-year-old. He likes routine. He likes to know what's coming up next. So, as we're driving home ("Home? Going home now?"), he then starts in with the other questions, "Watch Thomas? Watch Thomas at home?" or if we've had donuts any time recently, the question might be, "Eat donuts?" Honestly, I don't know what kinds of things I put him off with Maybe about, because most of his activities are completely approved and welcomed. I think that some of the Maybe's come from areas in which I am truly uncertain. "Dora? Dora coming on next?" If I'm not sure, and don't have the remote handy to check the guide (That is my absolute favorite thing about Direct TV!), I have to say, "Maybe." But I know that it is an expected response for him, because now he will often answer his own questions. "Watch Dora? Maybe? Maybe later." So I'm going to listen to myself more to determine where all of these Maybes are coming from. (Between the time I started writing this and now, I was putting him down for a nap. He was telling me the books he wanted me to read, in addition to the two I already read to him. I told him, "Maybe".) It's an answer he accepts, which is likely why I use it so often. Remember I'm dealing with a two-year-old now, and since he has hit two-and-a-half, if he doesn't like the answer he gets, he has been known to throw himself down in a full-blown fit.

Another disturbing little phrase that the parrot has picked up is, "I'm busy. Busy now." He will give this answer to his big sister if he doesn't want to do what she wants him to do, "Not. I busy. Busy now." He gives it to me when it's time for lunch and he's playing with his trains. When he first started saying that, of course I thought, "Where in the world did a two-year-old learn to say he was busy!" I quickly decided that it must be from me. But I'm fairly certain that I don't often tell him that. He has been able to work the DVD and VCR players for almost a year. So, if he decides he doesn't like what he's watching, he fixes that himself. No need for me to make him wait with an "I'm busy" (on the computer, fixing dinner etc). Amanda thinks that he may have learned it from her, so I'll have to listen. I think he may have picked it up from me telling her that. Because while an eight-year-old is more self-sufficient than a two-year-old, she is also more argumentative and insistent, and if she wants something she wants it now, not Maybe Later, so she might end up getting the "I'm busy right now," as a final answer.

So, you've heard my slogans, and Kyle's. Amanda's is probably "But Mom. . ." going along with that argumentative thing. What's yours?

11 comments:

Rachel Anne said...

Ha! Funny slogans....I think all moms can relate to "I'm busy" and "maybe later!" Story of my life. I'm still trying to think up a new one that I can sneak into my everyday conversation. Do you think anyone will notice if I just pop out with "Carpe diem?" They'll probably snort and fall down laughing.

Anonymous said...

Don't know if this qualifies as a slogan but I have a question I ask several times a day (usually when there is just a lull in the conversation, which really isn't more than a couple of times a day. I also ask my kids sometime in the morning before they go to school.). The question is, "What's the word of the day?" and the answer is "Love". Corny maybe but it's really what I hope they take with them.

Jane said...

Fun post! When we were growing up, we always took maybe to mean "yes" because my dad always said "no, means no"....so we assumed anything else meant "yes". Isn't it funny how families have their own little ways of understanding words!

Katrina said...

Camden thinks "maybe" means "no," too, but I think when I say it, I mean what you said (no right now, but that could change...).

I'll have to think about whether I have a slogan. I just asked Camden what I say a lot and he thinks the top two things I say are "I love you" and "Maybe."

Heather said...

Nope. I don't think so.
Of course, I don't have kids, but already my first response is no. Do you want to lead this forum? No. Do you want to move? No. Maybe I should work on that.

Barb said...

I have so many slogans I wouldn't know where to begin. Unfortunately most of them are of the "nagging" variety. Just ask my husband.

Chris said...

Cute post! I say "maybe" or "we'll see" too much!

janiswrites said...

The "I'm working" and "In a minute" are two things that I find that I say quite a bit. Of course, that is because I work at home and I like to finish a thought in writing before I move on to something else, so that is why I say those two things. "Maybe" is usually a "no" around here and they know it, but I don't usually mean no when I say it. This really made me think! I may need to change the way I communicate to keep them guessing!LOL Blessings!

Tracy said...

Jennifer,

I love the look of your blog and had to respond to this post. This is the first time reading your blog and it won't be my last. My slogan is definitely "We'll see..." for all the reasons you listed. I was laughing out loud when I read what you wrote. Yes the answer is no right now, but there is a possibility of it changing as long as you don't persue it at this time...SO TRUE!

Jennifer said...

Tracy--love the dog! Thanks for the compliments and welcome. Comment anytime.

Katherine@Raising Five said...

"Maybe" invites arguing and badgering around here, so I'm reining in my tendency to say that, too! I tend to say, "Did Mommy say Yes or did Mommy say No?" followed by, "Then don't ask me again!!"