Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day: Past, Present and Future

Kathleen Marie posted about her first romantic Valentine's Day and challenged us to do the same. I can't remember any schoolyard crushes that produced the ultimate show of elementary school love: the giant Hershey's kiss. The first Valentine's Day that stands out to me occurred when I was about fifteen, I think. I don't remember the whys or hows, but I went out to dinner with my dad to Red Lobster. My parents were divorced, and Dad and I went out to dinner quite frequently. I don't know what my sister was doing, or my mom and step-dad, but it was just the two of us that Valentine's Day. We wondered what people might have thought--that I was a poor girl without a mom or something. I certainly was a poor high school kid without a date, but I don't think I cared too much about that. We had a nice time.

This year, Terry and I have already celebrated. Last Friday night we went out with three other couples. The fact that we all managed to find babysitters and get out of the house for a few hours was nothing short of amazing. Tonight, I will prepare a delicious themed family dinner. I have little gifts for the kids and everything. I will leave a note to Terry in our Love Journal (which has been sort of neglected lately).

I can't help but wonder what the future brings--those days when Amanda will bemoan her lack of a Valentine or worry us with the presence of one. We're safe for now. She has had one small crush, on a boy in her class last year. She wouldn't admit to it, but she got all starry-eyed when she talked about him. She did NOT like talking about it. At all. Ever. She has some friends who are brother-sister twins. They recently had a party with both sets of friends and "he" was there. When we left, I asked if she had any "special feelings" for him. "No, mom," she answered, still not wanting to talk about it. I asked if there was anyone else who she had special feelings for now, and she quickly answered, "No! thank goodness." That sits just fine with me.

Whether you have a "special someone" or not today, remember that you have friends and family who love as well and can give you a real-life hug or smile or Valentine's Day greeting. I can also assure you that God loves you, and if that doesn't bring you comfort on this day for lovers, let me encourage you to really think about the lover and overseer of your soul and what He has done for you. It's not just a pat answer. It's Truth, and Comfort, and Security:
He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
I Peter 2:24-25

7 comments:

Kathleen Marie said...

What a sweet post. I recall going to supper ONCE when I was about twelve with my Dad. It was a banquet of sorts and for some reason my Mom couldn't make it. I had a great time and will always remember being Dad's special date for the evening.

Teen - love. I have only one child at home now and hopefully we can get through the next few years rather smoothly.

Hugs!

Dad said...

I remember lots of good dinners with you, especially the one on SW Freeway where the waiter treated you as if you were my date. Boy, were you mad!
Have a great Valentine's.
Love,
Dad

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

Your dad's comment above just makes me want to cry. How sweet is that? You are one blessed gal.

I can't remember my first "romantic" valentine's day. I really don't know? I remember secretly wishing that one particular boy would give me a candy kiss or something besides the generic valentine's I always got....but it never happened!

e-Mom said...

I love your Dad's comment. How cool that he reads your blog! Amanda has a small crush? Special. I remember those days...:~)

Happy Valentine's Day! (Jer. 3:3)

Katrina said...

Sweet post, and extra-sweet that your dad commented too!

Barb said...

Your dinner with you Dad when you were young really moved me, Jennifer. So special.

And I so agree with you. My valentines are all my family and loved ones. Cameron is my valentine as much as his Papa is.

Love isn't just for lovers. Happy Valentine's Day to you and all YOUR valentines.

L.L. Barkat said...

I made lasagna. It's red and white, yes? Seemed like the thing to do. (This, after losing the card I so proudly bought ahead of time for my spouse... ooooo... I had planned to be different this year!)