Sunday, March 25, 2007

Good Kids, Bad Habits

I appreciated that Good Kids, Bad Habits was full of information that we need to "raise healthy children" (as the subtitle suggests), and yet not full of guilt-inducing criticism. Dr. Jen writes practically, including the facts that we need to make our own decisions about creating a healthy growing environment for our kids (from birth to teens, although I would think that the target audience for this book would be toddlers to about age nine or ten, before it gets "too late"). The whole book is based on the Real Age theory, which is basically that as a result of healthy habits, one can shave years off of their age. The quiz that is in the book is also available online, as well as some other resources. In answering the questions, the author begins to raise your awareness about areas of importance. Then each section receives a chapter with the whys and hows of maximizing this area of health. The topics covered in this book include
Eat Up: Creating Healthy Food Habits That Will Last a Lifetime
Shape Up: Getting Kids to Play More than Video Games
Spiff Up: Convincing Kids that Being Clean--Teeth to Toes--is Worth the Effort
Smarten Up: Teaching Kids Good Homework Habits
Chin Up: Routines that Build Up Your Child's Self-Esteem
Gear Up: Habits that Keep Kids from Getting Hurt
Check Up: Staying on Top of Your Child's Health
The basic approach taken here is knowing the facts yourself, but there is a bit of a sense of passing the information along to your child so that he or she can take ownership as well. I supposed that some parents might feel guilty after reading this, knowing that their child eats too much sugar, watches too much TV, and is falling short in other areas as well, but I really did not feel the condemning attitude at all. I was left with a great sense of responsibility, knowing that it is my job to give my kids a head start on healthy habits that can increase their quality of life for the rest of their life. I felt like this book gave me the tools to actually do it.


This book was sent to me by the publisher as a part of the BlogHer book tour.

2 comments:

Appliejuice said...

I am going to look into this. It would be interesting to see if I have forgotten an area to teach the kids and then apply it. Thanks for the review. :)

org junkie said...

Hi Jennifer! I saw this book advertised on my Blogher ad. Thanks for the review of it.

Laura