Friday, March 16, 2007

I'm So Proud

I offer this as proof that loving to read generally sparks some sort of love for writing as well, and occasionally a bit of talent. Amanda is working on her heritage journal project, where she writes from the point of view of a young girl who will immigrate from Ireland to America. This is from her diary entry after the girl learns that they will go to America:

Last night I dreamed that a big rotten potato named Ireland and a beautiful flower called America were fighting over me.


I had to ask her if she had read that somewhere else--where she had gotten the idea--and she said that she made it up, but her teacher said to use their imaginations and they could talk about dreams to express different thoughts.

Maybe she'll help her old mom along in a few years and convince her agent to sign me on and give me a shot.

In the interest of equal time, I am also quite proud of Kyle. This go-round with the runny nose, he has learned to sniff it in to solve that snot problem.

9 comments:

Susanne said...

That is a very visual description. Just an awesome imagination!

Mitali Perkins said...

tells us so much about the main character ... just as the information about your son's in-sniffing tells us that you're nice and "earthy" ... enjoy the snow ...

Lauren S. said...

Wow! That is impressive writing (the sniffling is impressive as well)! Perhaps she could help me. I have no creativity!

Katrina said...

Good for Amanda -- very creative! And I had to giggle about the sniffing... That truly is a good skill to have. :)

Rachelle said...

Amanda's writing is beautiful. and
so is Kyle's newfound snot-sniffing ability!

org junkie said...

Your daughter is definitely picking up your talent for writing. Your last comment made me laugh out loud...I wasn't expecting that!

Laura

Barb said...

She has a great imagination, Jennifer. No wonder you're proud of her. I laughed at your remark about her agent.

Kyle's way of dealing with his little "issue" isn't quite as imaginative but no matter. I happen to know his system works!

:-)

sognatrice said...

Sounds like you've got a writer on your hands...or at least a blogger ;) I'm a late visitor from the Ultimate Blog Party (so many sites to go through!), and I shall return!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Wow! That is beautiful. (The snot problem is also quite a milestone). I wanted to thank you for your books on writing, but there is no button for comments. Weird.