Sunday, March 18, 2007

Read to Me 2007 Coming to a Close



The official mission is coming to a close, but I hope that new habits have been borne and will continue into 2007. On Monday, the Mr. Linky will go up, and you can link up to your results. You don't have to cover all of these areas, but I would love to hear about
  • how the mission helped you actually read more
  • the changes you made in order to do this
  • how your attitudes and/or your children's were affected
  • your plans going forward for family reading
  • any or all of the books that you discovered and enjoyed.
I will be giving away a new hardcover copy of From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books (the dustjacket is slightly torn--I bought it at my cool favorite overstocks bookstore) to one of the participants who posts some interesting reviews. If you have been updating and reviewing books throughout the month, as I know some of you have, include links at the bottom of your post to those reviews so that those who might have missed them can review them (much like I did in this post on Nonfiction for Students).

If you are at a good stopping point and ready to link up your summary right away, you can do it Monday. If you want to cram in some more reading this week, you have until Friday, March 23 to be considered eligible for the $10 amazon gift certificate and the Cover to Cover book prizes. Even if you didn't link up at the beginning of the challenge, but were inspired by it to read more to your kids this month, please feel free to link up a post explaining that, and if you record the books that you read and enjoyed, you could still be selected to receive the book.

Some have wondered what might be next in the area of encouraging reading together, and I think that this summer, I will launch a Read WITH Me mission, focusing on reading and discussing books with your kids. I hope that those of you with older children (or even grandchildren or nieces and nephews who live far away) might be encouraged to simultaneously read a book (aloud or on your own) and then discuss it. Check back in June for more details.

5 comments:

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

I'm just writing up my post for tomorrow, but being the techno challenged person I am, I can't for the life of me figure out how to grab the Read to Me pic. Sure I can copy it and put it up, but I'd love to have people be able to click it and go straight to you. Any tips on how I can do this?
Sometimes being a techno dummy really stinks!

Joyful Days said...

I like the idea for the Summer Read WITH Me mission. In the summer we spend a lot of time with my sister and my sister's children and one thing we all love is reading aloud. I will maybe have to get some ideas for specific books because one time we are together is for the county fair. Charlotte's Web comes to mind, of course. I would take suggestions, too.

Already wrote my review post. Will linky on Monday.

Thanks for this Jennifer. It was a gentle push that was very motivating.

Joyful Days said...

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom--I think you have Blogger too--you can post the picture and do a link just like you do a word or phrase. Highlight, click the link icon, copy and paste the link. Jennifer has some HTML on the original post that I used at the beginning with some tweaking, but Blogger got all weird about it and I had to do the highlight way. Hope that helps. I like the photo links too.

Jennifer said...

Joyful Days--I learned something there--I did NOT know that!! Cool.

Kathleen--you can try what she suggested, or what I do is just to grab the picture I want (it sounds like you know how to do that), upload it onto your post, and then go to the HTML tab (as opposed to Compose). You will be looking at the code for the picture. Where it says href= just change the address within the quotation marks to the page you want to link to. If you wait until my post for the Mr. Linky is up tomorrow morning, you could select that post and link right up to it. Voila! Now you're an advanced HTMLer.

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

Yay! Thanks to you and Joyful Mom I can do it!! I feel so techno savvy now, like I'm part of the in crowd~
I'm looking forward to your read with me mission, another wonderful idea!