Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thankful for Coffee

Each morning that I get the grind size and the amount of water just right to make a perfect pot of coffee, and manage to get the perfect amount of half and half into the cup, when I take that first sip of the first cup of the day, something hits me. I will often as not speak aloud: Thank You for coffee (because I am the only one up and no one will think twice of it--they probably wouldn't think twice of it anyway). I'm not being irreverent, in the way that Thank God is often thrown around. I truly mean it. By giving that little expression of heartfelt thanks over a simple cup of coffee, I am really expressing many things:

Thank You God for small pleasures, like a really great cup of coffee.

Thank You for financial provision so that I can buy coffee and half and half to make that lovely cup of coffee each morning.

Thank You God for the generosity of others--the coffee pot was a gift from my dad years ago and makes the best cup of coffee ever.

Thank You God that I live in America, in a nice house with heat in the winter and cold air in the summer, where I can wake up and have a cup of coffee and start my day easily.

And to show that God truly works all things for good (okay that is a little tongue in cheek, but not irreverent, I hope): "A new study shows that brewed coffee contains soluble fiber, the roughage found in oatmeal and apples that aids digestion, helps the body absorb vital nutrients and keeps a lid on cholesterol." Thanks to Mental Multivitamin for the link

Click the banner to see for what others are thankful.

19 comments:

Andrea said...

Jennifer--
I love my cup of coffee in the morning, too. I am always thankful for it!!

Denise said...

I enjoyed your list, thanks for sharing.

Lisa writes... said...

I too am enormously thankful for coffee! Lately I've been having issues with my coffeepot, where it's like overflowing and the resulting brew is more like mud, full of the grounds. I've decided it's a problem with the filters, but I don't know what to do, it's not like there's a variety of filters to choose from!

P.S. I can't remember if I've told you this, but your site is beautiful! I especially love the stack of old books!

devildogwife said...

The Lord loves it when we're thankful for even the little things in life. My hubby is very grateful for coffee as well. Right now, he's without and he's not exactly loving life. lol!

Sharon said...

Thank you for sharing your Thankfuls! I, too, am thankful for my morning coffee.

Lauren S. said...

I admit that I do not share your love of coffee, but I am thankful for my morning caffeinated beverage! It's funny how something so simple makes the morning better!

Deena said...

Isn't it cool to be thankful to God for those simple pleasures of life? It reminds us that He wants to have pleasure and joy and satisfaction...just to be sure and find it all in Him...He is such a good and loving God, isn't He...doncha just love Him!!

janiswrites said...

I think that God is pleased when we are thankful for everything-even the smallest things. I am thankful for my cup of coffee, too. I am thankful that it has some health benefits as well! Blessings to you!

Heather said...

I love coffee, I love tea.
I love the java, and it loves me.

L.L. Barkat said...

Coffee contains fiber? What other unknown miracles of life do I not yet know?

Michelle said...

Coffee ... it is such a wonderful thing!! LOL!

Katrina said...

I recently gave up my daily coffee habit, but with the amount of exhaustion I'm feeling and that new study that makes it obvious that coffee is good for me, I just may have to take it back up. I know exactly what you mean -- that perfect cup coffee truly is one of life's little pleasures, and something to be thankful for.

Jennifer said...

Yes and thank you God for the Starbucks on every corner so that when I am running late, I can still swing by and pick up a cup of coffee to start my day off as I had to this morning :)

Great list Jen!

Terri @ In His Hands said...

I am so thankful for a good cup of coffee in the morning!

Great list, Jen! Thanks for sharing, I'll think of you tomorrow morning as I give thanks my cup of joe!

Blessings!

dad said...

Thankful for my "cheap Costco coffee beans" and my burr grinder that help make the two mugs of coffee that I drink on my way to work (when I work).
Ah, the small pleasures of life.

Also thankful for the daughter and son-in-law who remember who bought the fancy coffee machine.

marlise said...

AMEN!!! I love my coffee, too.

Kathleen Marie said...

And I am thankful for tea, hot tea, ice tea but I am happy we can afford coffee for my dear hubby... a cute thankful list. God does want us to be happy doesn't he ☺

Laurel Wreath said...

Oh I love this, I too LOVE and am thankful for Coffee.

T with Honey said...

Funny.... I'm not sure exactly how I ended up surfing to your blog today but I've been enjoying reading your posts. Then I hit this one. I a very similar reaction to my cup of hot tea and wrote about it ON THE EXACT SAME DAY!! It's a little comforting and a little strange to know that I had such similar thoughts as another blogger on the same day.