Thursday, April 12, 2007

Just Like Mom Used to Make



This article is my submission to the blog challenge (to post my favorite recipe handed down from my mom) sponsored by Bonnie, CWO's monthly columnist for Bonnie's Kitchen.


My mother-in-law and I are different in some ways and alike in other ways, just as with my blood relatives, but I've always appreciated her. She is more skilled in the home arts arena than my own mother, so I've learned a lot from her over these past fifteen years. Early on in our marriage, my husband asked me to get this recipe from her:

Apple Betty
5 - 7 apples
1/4 orange juice, apple juice, or water
3/4 stick margarine
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Peel and slice apples into dish. Pour juice over apples. Mix together other ingredients until crumbly (with fork or pastry blender). Pour over apples.

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

I like this recipe because it's one for which I generally have all the ingredients on hand. It's easy to make, and it's really delicious. The recipe card is written in her own hand, so each time I make it, it reminds me of her and the legacy she has passed on from her family to ours including faith, the importance of family, and the joy of feeding them well.
I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter or at 5 Minutes for Books on Facebook

14 comments:

Laura said...

I've been craving something like this lately! Yum-my! So glad you shared!

HipWriterMama said...

This sounds really good. I think I'll make it tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Katrina said...

Yum. Thanks for this recipe!

L.L. Barkat said...

I like that brief thougt about it being written in her own hand. I realize that most of my recipes will be passed on via cyberspace... a step removed from the real me.

Sounds tasty, btw.

Heather said...

Okay, you really need to get an RSS feed so that I can add you to my blog reader. I keep forgetting to check here!

Jenny said...

Yummy! I am printing this recipe off right now!

GiBee said...

Oh, it looks absolutely deeeelish!

Rightthinker said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tradition.

MUISTO said...

This sounds lovely, thanks for sharing! :-)

Crystal said...

Wow this looking really good...I will have to try it.....
Thanks for sharing
Blessings

Beba said...

Sounds yummie! It is simple and as you said something that we always have on hand...

Anonymous said...

When my apple tree ripens I am always short of good apple recipes. Thank you for this one!

Bonnie

Code Yellow Mom said...

This sounds fabulous and fabulously easy...mmm, mmm, mmm.

Kathleen Marie said...

This does sound good! Thanks for sharing!