Fortunately, my kids have avoided chronic recurring minor illnesses, so we never made that monthly trip to the doctor to have ear aches attended to, or trips to the ER to rehydrate after the latest stomach bug. Since by nature I'm more hands off and non-worrying, and also because I have heeded the pediatrician's counseling that they often don't know if the illness is viral or bacterial and thus it's a guess if antibiotics will even benefit them, so I keep them home and treat them with Advil and Triaminic. But as the little illness crawls into day three or four, I inevitably second guess myself and take them to the doctor, who generally says, "Yes it looks like the cold that is going around."
Saturday Kyle started running a fever, and has continued through Monday. He is completely fine with no symptoms as long as the Advil is working, and when it wears off, he acts like he feels sick. Today, I thought he was well, but the cold symptoms set in and the fever came back. There's one other odd symptom that I'm worried about, so I called the doctor and we got in first thing in the morning.
How do you decide whether to make that call or not? I would love to hear your experiences and advice.