Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What Would You Do if You Could Not Fail?

HipWriterMama has a Can Do Mission Statement challenge going. As incentive for baring your goals to the internet world, there are even prizes. Click over to check it out. And keep reading as I reveal my own thoughts about this mission statement thing.

I am good at stating my need for accountability, and I'm good at making goals so that I am at least aiming towards my target (remember, if you don't have a target, you are sure to miss it). I have even asked you to consider What Are You Waiting For? and more recently posted that I am willing to experience failure in order to achieve what I Want to Be. . . .

Well, what am I waiting for?

GULP.

I'm waiting for experience. You see, experience will give me the credibility that I need to publish articles in "real" magazines. In order to get experience I need discipline to continue to find markets which fit my niche. As long as I lack experience to sell my "good ideas," it's easy for me to just keep waiting. In order to think about what my mission statement for the next year would be, I have to think about my whys first.

Why do I want to write? Why do I want to get published? I want to write because I have found it's a wonderful way to develop thoughts that I have--to connect them to the rest of my life. I want to get published as validation, as a source of income (with no delusions that I'm going to get rich), and as a way to be a source of information and/or encouragement to those who read.

So, with that as the end, my professional mission statement (and working plan) would be to submit one article or query a week. This will result in being published at least ten times, by April 2008, which will allow me to build my platform so that by that time I will be working in earnest on a non-fiction book proposal which I can submit so that I can find a publisher who likes my idea.

Specifically in answer to her question, "What would you do (differently) if you could not fail?" I would write. I would prioritize it differently and now I see that I need to do this if it is something that I truly want to pursue.

If you ask yourself that question, I think that you are well on the way to cutting away all the fat and getting to the meat of the matter about what your mission statement would be.

8 comments:

HipWriterMama said...

Jennifer,
What a heartfelt post. You've analyzed what you wanted, thought through your process and put your goals in writing. You're well on your way to accomplish what you want to do. So get to work, keep the focus and you can do it! Congratulations on your mission statement and Good luck!

Pleasant View Family said...

That's such a great question! Fear is my greatest life struggle - I'm afraid to do anything less than perfect, so I really have to push myself to try new things. I'm so glad you're asking and answering the hard questions!

ann at mommysecrets.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Posts like this are what's so rewarding about popping in here. I'd answer your question if I could think of an answer; now you know what I'll be thinking about this afternoon.

Hmmm ...

Jen Rouse said...

Way to go! I am impressed and inspired. Please keep working toward your goal and let us know how it goes.

Katrina said...

This is great! Good for you for thinking through the process, and your goals and motivations, and putting it out here for us to see. Your plan sounds reasonable -- challenging, but doable, and I believe it will definitely pay off.

org junkie said...

I love that question too and am going to have to give that one some thought....hmmmm. Your goal is well thought out and I'm excited to congratulate you when you complete it because I'm confident you will!
Laura

At A Hen's Pace said...

Jennifer--

Well-thought-out and thought-provoking!

I'm not primarily interested in getting published right now--wrong season of life, I sense--but I do have desires about writing that it might be helpful for me to define and even draw goals from.

Hmmmm....

Thanks!

Jeanne

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

It is great that you have it all thought out (and with a plan.) I know you will get there! :)