Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Are you Bert or Ernie?

I was watching Sesame Street this morning. Well, we have an extra toddler in the house because my sister-in-law is visiting with her 23 month old, so the toddlers were watching Sesame Street, but I actually get a kick out of it, too.

I love Ernie and Bert. I particularly recall the nighttime scenes. I found a great website that details the plot outlines of Bert and Ernie:

Ernie insists on watching Bert sleep. He sings a song about sleep, initially to Bert's dismay. He soon falls in, though, and then finds that Ernie is the one who has fallen asleep!




I was thinking that we all are either Bert or Ernie in our relationships. I am Ernie--the exuberant botherer. My husband is Bert--the more sensible one who Ernie irritates. My sister-in-law is the Bert in her relationship, but only in comparison to her husband who is really, really an Ernie.

One of my friends insists that we each have a role in our little circle as well: the worrier, the fun-maker, the decider, the nurturer. . . .

So, are you Ernie or Bert? Does your answer change depending to whom you are comparing yourself?

13 comments:

Lauren S. said...

I am definitely Ernie in my marriage. I am probably Ernie in some friendships and Bert in others!

Susanne said...

I am probably the more high strung Bert. :vD

Dianne said...

You know, this brought back memories! About 30 years ago, our house burned down and one of the ladies in our church gave my sis and me Sesame Street sheets - I still have that pillow case. I cannot part with it. I don't know whether I'm Ernie or Bert though. Probably Bert. I'm really a Kermit fan, if you want to know!!

Beck said...

Oh, I'm Ernie. Ernie all the time, unless I'm over-tired and then I become a very grouchy Bert. Oh, and I also have Bert's eyebrows.

Sheila said...

I'm a little of both. I turn into Ernie at bedtime, though.

Thanks for the terrific link!

Dad said...

Jennifer,
You think there is a little Ernie in me? Poor Bert (Susan).
Dad

Big Mama said...

This cracks me up because Gulley and I have always called each other Bert and Ernie. Believe it or not, I'm Bert and she's Ernie.

And then, when Caroline started watching Sesame Street her very favorite character was Ernie. She still has an Ernie doll that she carries everywhere, which just goes to show she and I have the same taste in friends.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

I'm actually more of cookie monster really...

Lori said...

This is really cute Jennifer - and I'm definitely Ernie with my husband. And he is definitely a Bert!

Sarah said...

I think I'm Bert most of the time... rats! I always kinda liked Ernie better..

Katrina said...

Hm. Very interesting. I think I'm usually a Bert, but in our marriage, I may actually be the Ernie, especially since I usually decide to engage in gobs of small talk as my dear husband is attempting to sleep. Then I convert his Bert to an Oscar. :)

Carrie said...

I am definitely the Ernie in the marriage and my husband the Bert. And it works out fun, doesn't it?

PEZmama said...

I am Bert in so many ways. A little too uptight, too often squelching fun. I have an inner Ernie that sometimes makes appearances. I wish he would come out more, though...