Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Satisfaction

Andrea at The Flourishing Mother is doing a great series on joy in the midst of mothering. Her recent post called Believing God tied having a joyful spirit to believing that He will give us the fruit of joy, as opposed to seeking fulfillment from outside choices. It reminded me of a study that I am doing in Isaiah. Isaiah 53:11 says

After the suffering of his soul,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

Jesus is satisfied because he has seen the light. He knows that he has done that which he was born to do. I think that I find satisfaction in the same way, and even in the little things:
  • Enforcing a rule or standard with my children
  • Enjoying a quiet moment with one of my children
  • Having a fruitful discussion with my husband or children
  • Discussing the things of God with a friend
  • Encouraging someone with God's word
  • Preparing a good meal
  • Finishing the laundry (well, I don't know if laundry is ever finished, but you know what I mean)
To an extent, it's about sacrifice. Nothing in comparison to Jesus' sacrifice, but sacrifice of the easy for the eternal. Sacrifice of my wants for what I need.

Along those lines. I'm pretty satisfied today.

I'm keeping up with the dishes, in spite of a broken dishwasher.

I waited at the end of the driveway with my daughter for the bus (which I don't always do, but she always enjoys).

I played a little game with Kyle, and observed him and praised him as he guessed the rhyming words on Blue's Clues (the Steve edition--we like Steve better here).

I spent several hours purging and organizing.

Homework's done, and dinner's in the oven awaiting my husband's arrival.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

*sigh*

Being mom is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Andrea said...

So great.
I love all your "everyday sacrifices" that you shared. It makes the picture of joy so much more clearer for me.

Dianne said...

Good thoughts Jenn. I think we do need to allow ourselves to be satisfied at times. Not complacent, but satisfied that we've obeyed Christ and pleased him in doing so. I think that might help us reflect back to him in worship.

Heather said...

Thanks for this reminder about the Christian life in the every day.

Susanne said...

I loved this post! What a great reminder of the things that REALLY matter. I have enjoyed browsing your blog, and I will definitely be back! Have a great weekend!

org junkie said...

Sounds like a pretty good day! I'm looking around for those baskets for you. I'll let you know what I find out!
Laura

Katrina said...

Yes, good thoughts. It's ironic but when I spend hours and hours appeasing my own desires, I never feel as good overall as when I have sacrificed to do something for my family or others. It IS important to have "me-time," but certainly not exclusively.