Friday, May 18, 2007

Star Struck

Have you ever had a celebrity sighting? What did you do? Did you stare? Run? Talk to him? Take a picture of her? Ask for an autograph? Scream like a young Beatles fan?

The latter is what happened when my sister-in-law and I saw Wicked in NYC (more on this later, because it was so absolutely unwickedly wonderful!). We were sitting in our very good orchestra seats waiting for the show to begin. A very New York looking couple had come in and sat two rows behind us. The man was dressed all in black, and the usher shook his hand when he sat him down. I sort of looked at him, but I really noticed the woman, who was dressed in this very short red draped dress--sleeveless, and with lots of gold chains or belts or something on her. She definitely stood out from the rest of the matinee show crowd who were dressed more comfortably than stylishly. I didn't stare but did point out the flashy woman to my sister-in-law.

Then the screaming began. From the back of the first level, there was standing up, screaming, and pointing. I honestly thought that a rat or a dog was loose and people were watching it run around. We kept turning, but didn't see anything. Then we heard people around us talking about ER. It suddenly clicked for me, so we turned and looked again. Indeed this is who was sitting two rows behind us:



At intermission, we and everyone else around us turned, and they were gone! The woman who had been beside them had to tell all the teeny boppers who actually came down to the seat (and even took pictures in the seat he had occupied), that they had left right before Intermission. Right after the show began, they returned to their seats, and again left the theater right before it was over.

While all the screaming was going on, and we were turning trying to figure out what all the hubbab was, he was staring straight ahead. Deadpan. No expression at all. My sister-in-law said that she locked eyes with him, and his expression still never changed. She wanted to ask him what happened on ER last week, because she missed it, but it was too bad that he wasn't available for questions (since you can't read the tone, I will go ahead and say that this was sarcastic, and she of course would not have asked him about the ER show she missed. . . probably).

As calm and cool as I tried to be, it was sort of distracting being that close to a "star." In fact, after we verified that he had returned for the second half, I heard him laugh out loud, and jabbed my sister-in-law to let her know, "I just heard John Stamos laugh. Did you hear it?" I know that some of this is natural, and even self-imposed in their line of work, and I certainly don't pity him or other celebrities, but it must be so annoying. It made me appreciate the fact that I could simply enjoy my little afternoon of freedom from the sometimes-boring routine life I lead at home caring for my home and family.

Wait--maybe there are more similarities between us than I first imagined. He had to dodge the attention of adoring fans while trying to enjoy an afternoon out. I had to plan an afternoon out so that I could dodge the attention of my adoring kids. It's hard to be so beloved, eh?

16 comments:

Lauren S. said...

I envy you for getting to see a Broadway show! I do not envy the attention that celebrities receive. I agree that it would be so annoying (unless, of course you are Paris Hilton and then you are out searching for the attention). Glad you enjoyed the show and your celebrity encounter!

Jennifer said...

Lauren--I was thinking of people like P.H. who are simply famous for being famous, as well. . . . No pity there.

L.L. Barkat said...

I'm so glad you told me who he is, so I can be properly wowed if I bump into him in New York.

The most distracting meal I ever had was one where I was facing Martha Stewart at the next table. It's not like I wanted to speak to her. It was just an odd feeling. (Plus, it was right before she was set to go into "confinement.")

Susanne said...

Too funny! I think I might be a tad distracted but not to the point of screaming and carrying on. Too funny wanting to ask what happened on ER!

Katrina said...

Very cool and funny. To me, he will always be Uncle Jesse from Full House -- I'm showing my age, eh? I don't think I've had any major star sightings, but I'm so out of touch with pop culture that I might not know them if I saw them.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

When I was a kid, we were on vacation at Hilton Head Island and we saw John Cougar Melloncamp and his kids on vacation. They were on the beach right beside us and I played with his kids for a bit. he was very down to earth. I think I was about 12 years old when I saw him.

The second "brush with fame" I had was in Paris when we were at the Louvre and we ran into (quite literally) Peter Boyle (the dad on Everybody Loves Raymond---he just recently died). He was a very nice guy. We left the Louvre and went to Versailles and he was there too! We had a good chuckle about being on the same "tour" of Paris!

Jenni said...

I was in Santa Fe, NM a few years ago and saw Bradley Whitford (from The West Wing, among other things) and his family. It was surreal to see him - but not quite so awe inspiring because he was rolling drunk. Ugh.

Lori said...

Jennifer - You are just too cool... getting to see Wicked in NYC and John Stamos all in one night. I'm jealous!

And Katrina - let me age myself even more and remember back to the days when John Stamos played Blackie on General Hospital.

org junkie said...

I've never had a star sighting so I have no idea how I'd react. I'd hope I wouldn't act like a dork but I don't get out much and I'm embarrassed to say that I'm pretty sure I'd make a fool out of myself :)

Laura

Dianne said...

How funny and how cool! Always did like John Stamos, although my only recollection of his is from Full House.

Patti (Mazy) said...

So you had better seats than John Stamos? =0)

Rachelle said...

Very funny! I love your analogy... adoring fans/adoring kids. Good one!

I have a story that's kind of the opposite. I used to live and work in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills area and saw celebrities all the time. A few years ago after I had moved to Colorado, I was eating dinner out at a nice restaurant when a guy sat down who looked just like a certain TV star. I mentioned to my friend, "Oh look, there's (so and so)." Then I realized, WAIT, I'm not in L.A. anymore, I'm in Colorado. That's NOT him, it just looks like him! The difference was, had I been still in L.A. it really would have been him. Sorry to say, I haven't spotted a single celebrity since moving here. Well, unless you count James Dobson.

angeleyes Blue said...

This is so funny--I remember when I moved from Upstate NY to Santa Barbara to be close to my then boyfriend. I had never seen a celebrity. My boyfriend? santa Barabra, CA? We were in line for a movie premier and he tapped me on the shoulder and said that's Kenny Loggins in front of you. I said No Way. It must have been 2 minutes later and Entertainment Tonight was flashing a light in his face and interviewing him.

My then boyfriend worked at Circuit City and some of his customers were Bo Derek and Milton Bradley. WOW!

I remember John Stamos as Blackie on GH also. WOW! How sorry are we? These celebrities are people just like us and I truly wouldn't want their life.

Give me a cup of hot chocolate and an evening with my teenagers anytime.

The Wooden Porch said...

I adore J.S. I think there is something incredibly sexy about him. There I've said it. Now I'll clamp my hand over my mouth and pretend I didn't.

I once working at Six Flags and Billy Ray Cyrus came and rode the ride I was working at. He was being followed by a goofy group of 35-ish aged woman, all were chubby and wearing very short jean shorts, and had long bleached blond hair and looked to be right out of the 80's. Good 'ol Billy was tickled. He never stopped smiling at those women and he ignored everyone else. He draped his arms around a couple of them and then he hoped on the ride and we let the blondies on with him and off they went.

The Wooden Porch said...

goodness... I really should proof read before I hit submit

stealth roommate said...

I thought you had a thing for Neil Patrick Harris? Have you seen him around NY? We read Wicked. Cant't wait to see your review. We missed the show down here....need to come see you! I'll save my pennies!