Tuesday, May 22, 2007

This and That--the "Finally, a Post" edition

So, the posting has been a little scarce, but it's not because I've run off with John Stamos. We've just been a little busy. The process of getting ready for visitors, then having visitors, then trying to get back to your normal life takes some adjusting. Plus, it's spring. That should be enough of a reason, right? Actually, I really have been enjoying sitting outside reading or writing or whatever while the kids play.

I told my sister-in-law that I would send her a picture of Kyle's new haircut that he got the day she left, but why not just post it for all of the internet to see?


He looks good. I haven't really mastered the gel thing, so this is the salon look. You also get to see the typical fake goofy smile.

This is what he looked like before the cut (with my cute niece) and instead of a fake smile, a sandwich shoved into his mouth:


If you were to ride in my car, or come to my house, you would likely hear the Wicked soundtrack. I am hooked. I have most of the songs memorized, and because it's Broadway, I have to do a little face/eyebrow/ voice acting, too, right? I am reading the book right now, and I am going to do a post comparing the two (and maybe even including the Wizard of Oz book as well). And if you're lucky, "I'll teach you the proper poise, when you talk to boys, little ways to flirt and flounce--oooh!" (from the great song "Popular," that everyone should download whether they have seen the show or not).


My mom gave Amanda the Kid's Cookbook when we were back home in April. The reviews on amazon are fabulous, and I agree. It's meant for older kids (it says 9 and up), so it's real recipes, and they are good. I am very proud to say that my 8 1/2 year old daughter made this whole dinner on Saturday pretty much by herself (with me just lurking around).




We had green salad with vinaigrette (page 68), crunchy coated chicken breasts (page 81), smashed potatoes (page 89), and for dessert, frozen fruit and yogurt pops (page 42). For the record--had I tried to serve her mashed potatoes with skin in them, she would not have eaten them. It's one of the perks of her selecting the menu and cooking it herself. She ate them up.




In the background, you will also see my broken dishwasher. This is a really serious problem for me. I do not wash dishes. As my husband said, I can barely keep up with them when the dishwasher is doing the work for me! The repairman is coming tomorrow. I've had it for about 13 months, so it's out of warranty. What's up with that?

12 comments:

Dianne said...

This was a fun update post, Jennifer. I know what you mean, spring comes and who wants to sit around and blog when it's so nice out? Yet here we are - LOL! Good for Amanda- I remember starting to cook around that age. Sorry about your dishwasher. Would you believe ours is going on 43 years old and still works great? (ask me about that one!)

Erin said...

Oh, I ADORE Wicked. I saw it in March in LA and was blown away by it. I've been listening to the soundtrack ever since - and am still not tired of it! Which is amazing for me. :)

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves a chance to fly

'Defying Gravity' is SO empowering!!

Dana said...

I have to say your niece is very cute! I also have become obsessed with the Wicked sound track. Thanks for the great gift sis
Why didn't Amanda cook for me?

MUISTO said...

Thanks for recommending WICKED - I just ordered it and I am looking forward to it.

Gosh, someone should have taught cooking to my housemates that age. I keep getting crazy if they constantly use fastfood and even mess that up.
I am so thankful that all women in my family taught me cooking from the beginning.

Lori said...

Okay Jennifer - If you keep talking about Wicked, my jealous streak will never go away!

Love Kyle's new hair - makes him look so much older,

org junkie said...

Jennifer, this cookbook sounds awesome. I always find great books I've never heard of through you. I would love my daughter to be more involved in the kitchen. I'm pretty impressed that your daughter made such a fantastic looking meal!
What a cutie your son is...such a little man!
Laura

Susanne said...

I swear they make appliances with a little timer in them that goes off exactly a week after the warranty wears off.

This was a cute post. Nice to see a randomy family post complete with pics.

L.L. Barkat said...

Spring is definitely reason enough. I'm just always aching to be outside, with my face to the clouds or with my fingers in the dirt.

angeleyes Blue said...

I had to laugh with your last statement--"What's up with that?" isn't that LIFE? I believe that there are two ways to be in this world. We could live life on "The Merry-Go-Round". Slow and steady, up and down up and down. How boring is that? Or we can live life on "The Rollercoaster". The speed, the ups and downs, turns--slow and quick, the screams of pure delight and fear.

I would rather be on the rollercoaster of course there is another way to live in life....MOMMYHOOD...your dishwasher. It is just a dill pickle. It will be fixed before you know it and thank heaven the washing machine is still chugging along.
Have a scrumdillyumptious day :)

Musings from a mom of two sick teenagers--one with pneumonia--she was put on bed rest for a week and a son who has bronchitis. Did I mention that it is finals week?

I love this rollercoaster ride! WHEE!

Heather said...

I can't believe I haven't seen Wicked yet. It's on my list!
A broken dishwashwer! The worst! When Chris and I came back from our honeymoon, we came home to a broken dishwasher and a broken AC. Guess what wedding money went towards!

Barb said...

Well of course your dishwasher is broken. Everyone knows any appliance covered by a 12 month warranty will break down in the 13th month. Doesn't that just irk the living daylights out of you?

I LOVE that photo of her in the kitchen. Honestly, my girls are grown and I think I'll get them that cookbook. LOL

Jen Rouse said...

That's awesome! Teaching your kid to cook is something they will thank you for later in life, whether they end up being a mom or a banker or a rock star--everyone's gotta eat. (Although I suppose if she were a rock star she might have people to do menial chores like cooking for her, but you know what I mean).