Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Yet Another Post about Potty Training

Yes, I know that you've been checking in wondering why I haven't reported about Kyle's progress learning to use the potty. I think we've been at it for three weeks. It's going fine. I'm still more potty trained than him. He tells me when he has to go. . . after he's already wet. But that's progress, right?

I wanted to share the bane of a potty training mom, in case you haven't been in my shoes in a while (Speaking of shoes--I would NOT recommend stepping into the shoes of a potty training kid. You can't be quite sure what you might find. Trust me.):

The Self-Flushing Toilet.

Kyle does not like to sit on the potty most of the time anyway (although once he's there, he's doing a good job of doing what he's supposed to). Throw a self-flushing toilet at Panera into the mix, and I'm not sure if I'll ever get him to go in public again. In fact, at Costco today, we used the public facilities, and he said, "Not scare me?" and I had to assure him that it was not a scary potty.

I have solved the Panera toilet problem, and I thought it was worthy of sharing with all the Works for Me Wednesday moms: As I squat beside him, I cover the sensor on the back of the toilet with my hand, ensuring that it won't flush with my little guy on the seat.

6 comments:

Amblin said...

Now that's a great idea! We're right in the midst of potty training at our home as well so this tip will come in handy. I think I'll use a tissue over my hand to cover the sensor...germa-phobe that I am! LOL

Dandelion Momma-Janis said...

You can also drape some tissue over the sensor so that you don't have to use your hand. Then you simply grab the tissue and flush it when you are done. My daughter freaks out if those toilets flush on her! Blessings to you!

Amy said...

I hadn't thought of that! My 4 year-old is FINALLY potty-trained, but public facilities are still an adventure. Thanks for the tip.

Rachelle said...

My 8-yr-old daughter STILL likes me to cover that darned sensor so that it won't flush when she's on there. I don't always do it... she's had to suffer through the flushing a few times and I figure it's good for her to face her fears! But when I am feeling like "nice mommy," I still cover it.

The Cheerio Queen said...

oh good idea! My kids are all sensitive to that as well! It cracks me up when they stand up and hold their ears. lol I will try your idea.

Jenna

jtcosby said...

Not that I am succeeding in the potty training world (twins, one potty trained, one not even close)...but we did get a "porta" potty to keep in our car. It is simply one of those little potty's you can buy at walmart or target and it goes in the car and I use garbage bags to line it and throw them away when we are finished...it works great!