Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Free Movies

Kyle saw his first movie today. He just turned three, and he is a little bit "spirited." I didn't really want to shell out $20 for the three of us to see a movie, not knowing if he'd sit through it. However, I had nothing to lose, because the movie was FREE.

Most of the major movie chains have some sort of free movie program. You can look for your local AMC/Loews participating theatre HERE.

We saw Happy Feet. It's rated PG, and honestly when Amanda was a preschooler, we never saw PG movies. But having an 8 1/2 year old child and a 3 year old child, and faced with a free movie, I guess I eased up on my standards (PluggedIn Online is a great place to check out the specific content in a movie). Honestly, what made me most uncomfortable was the sort of flirty mating stuff, but since we just saw March of the Penguins last week, I realized that it is actually right on target. If you've seen either of these movies, I would highly recommend that you watch the other as sort of a companion film, because they both tell the same story in different ways.

In addition to dicussing issues when you Read Together, movies can be a good way to connect and teach as well. It's not too late to sign up for my mission to share a book or two and Read Together this summer.

For more tips, click over to Works-for-Me Wednesday.

7 comments:

Big Mama said...

We discovered the free movie for the first time this morning. We saw Curious George. Maybe next week we'll look for Happy Feet.

Susanne said...

Free sounds good to me! We just found out our city is doing free open air movies on a 30 foot blowup screen in a downtown park on the weekends. Saturday night is a family film. Maybe we'll take it in.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

We love the summer free movies because our theater does $1 drinks and popcorn during the kiddie shows! :)

Tammy said...

We do this every year, too, at least once! In a few weeks, we plan on seeing Charlotte's Web, and I'm really looking forward to it myself, since I heard so many good things about it.
I also like it when they show a family film for free in the park...such good atmosphere there!

Thanks for your review on Happy Feet...the girls saw in on PPV with their daddy but I hadn't seen it yet!

freddie said...

I'm over 30 y.o. but I'd love to see Happy feet; I bet it's good for the kid which is in me.
Always a very nice and simple blog! Thanks
Ciao from Rome
freddie

ColoradoDreaming said...

I take my daycare kids and my kids to the free movies every Tuesday! We are going to see Happy Feet sometime this summer, not sure the date.

You are right about being able to use movies to help our children understand things and teach them.

Have a great summer with the free movies!

Katrina said...

No theaters around here do this and that irks me! So I'm just using Netflix to have a weekly family movie night. Not exactly free, but I probably wouldn't want to take a one-year-old to the theater anyway. :)