Sunday, June 24, 2007

Read Together Sign Up


Are you in?

Amanda and I have big plans. We have started Secret of Red Gate Farm for our first read-aloud (her idea since I have never read a Nancy Drew book in my life--can you believe it?--and she fell in love with her this year and wants to share the excitement with me).

I am reading Ella Enchanted (it's good) and am going to let her read it when I'm finished so we can discuss it.

If I get ambitious, we might tackle Little Women, but we might hold off on that. She is trying to read all the Nutmeg nominees (our state's award that is chosen by third and fourth grade students), and wants me to read some of those as well that she has enjoyed, especially Jackie's Wild Seattle.

I'm going to have to struggle to keep up with her, because she reads at a fiendish pace. However, at minimum we're going to keep one read-aloud going at all times and we can discuss that as we go along. Edited to clarify: You do NOT have to read aloud together. The idea is to simply read what your kids are reading and then discuss it in some way.
If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, simply link to a specific post announcing your intent to Read Together. You can write a specific post detailing some ideas or plans, or you can simply link up to the post that I have seen from some of you spreading the word this week (thanks!). There is not going to be a closing sign-up date. The mission will run through August 27, at which point all reviews must be posted, so as long as you link up here first, and post at least one review of a book shared, you are eligible for the prizes (more information on the prizes later).

A separate post and Mr. Linky will go next week so that you can begin linking reviews/results after each book you read together (or all at once at the end of the summer, if you prefer).

14 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

i'm really excited about this, Jennifer! thanks for inviting me! have fun reading with Amanda!

Beck said...

We're in! The Girl and I still have to pick which book we'll read, but we're game.

Shauna said...

We loved Ella Enchanted (I hated the movie, though), and the author's other fairy tale retellings are also fun.

DebD said...

I've added my link. I just linked to my original post announcing this as I don't really know what we're going to read yet. Having this accountability will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Karlene said...

Great idea! I'm signed on. Thanks for visiting my blog and letting me know you were doing this.

Karlene

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jocelyn said...

What a wonderful idea! I'm in and just posted my participation on my site. I love the accountability from doing these reading challenges. Thanks for starting it!

Blessings,
Jocelyn

Susanne said...

This is such a great idea, Jennifer! Sometimes once our kids reach the age where they are reading chapter books we tend not to read with them. Great motivation to help keep them into books over the summer.

Louise said...

We're in! Looking forward to The Penderwicks...

At A Hen's Pace said...

We've been SO busy getting our house on the market and now keeping it ready to show...

But my daughter just listened to one of my favorite childhood books on tape and enjoyed it--so I can use that if nothing else. She's into the Meg Cabot books right now and I really want to read one of them myself, so this will be even more motivation!

Jeanne

Knancy said...

Getting a bit of a late start but excited about reading with my 15 year old again. If she'll get off the phone/internet long enough to do it!

Jenn in AZ said...

How wonderful!! We used to read a lot together, but it seems we have been living at a hectic pace for too long. This is a welcome release. I noticed Costco had some packs of books for Mom & Me reading in different age ranges.

Thanks! (No blog yet, but will get around to it, someday. :) I am good at word-of-mouth, though.)

Jenn in AZ (hometeachinatcoxdotnet)

Dana said...

What a great idea. I first saw the link for this at DebD's site. I've always loved reading aloud to my family. Most summer's we've read one of the Little Britches books by Ralph Moody. Our whole family loved that series.

This summer we only have our daugther, 16, at home, so we're reading Joshua Harris' I Kissed Dating Goodbye. It's been a good study for all the dumb things my husband and I did in our youth, and gives all of us good discussion time.

Danaover40

Laura Williams said...

This is so great!! My children and I are excited about this!